1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yogurt providing enough calcium?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by weedemnreap, Sep 19, 2009.

1. weedemnreap

weedemnreap Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Hi! I've been lurking and learning for several months now. Thanks for all the great info! I can't even imagine not having the girls around now- what fun they are!!!

I have 4 pullets, 1 of which started laying a few weeks ago (Millie, a beautiful black australorp). I haven't been giving them oyster shell since they weren't laying but do give them homemade raw milk yogurt regularly which they gobble up. They also free range most of the day in the yard.

Millie's eggs have been small but incredibly hard shelled (and very consistent) so I'm guessing she's getting enough calcium but want to make sure. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I would go get some oyster shell anyway, just in case. The many problems one can develop without enough calcium are horrible and it wouldn't be worth it to take the risk. If they have a little saucer of it offered and never take any, at least you know you made the option available.

Another thing you can do is to use the leftover eggshells from your kitchen use. Simply toss them into a container until you have a good number, and then bake them for a few minutes next time you have the oven on. From there, I put mine in a big bowl and use the bottom of a glass to crush them up, and I offer them in a plant saucer, free choice.

Most of the time they eat them all up.

It's an excellent source of calcium and they won't get egg-eating habits from that manner of serving them.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Oh- and btw-

[​IMG]

4. weedemnreap

Sep 19, 2009
    Thanks very much. Glad to be here!

I'll offer oyster shell and keep feeding them yogurt as well since it's good for them aside from the calcium aspect.

5. Mrs.ChickChick

Mrs.ChickChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    North central Illinois
    [​IMG]

You are so fortunate having a source of raw milk! I'm jealous!

6. weedemnreap

Sep 19, 2009
    Oh, I am so grateful! It's the only certified raw dairy in Idaho and they are good friends to boot. The milk is WONDERFUL (we get grass-fed beef too). A true blessing...[​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree with the other posts. I also have free choice oyster shells available for my birds. I do give them yogurt but not every day. Mine also have very hard shells. I have changed their feed to high protein recently as some of my birds have been going through a hard molt.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by