Yogurt Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NewToFarming, Aug 9, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have been seeing different things about yogurt and am confused. Is it ok to give as a treat or is yogurt not good for chickens to eat?

Thanks!

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It's a good treat for them, lots of good probiotics for their tummies.

3. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    Yogurt is okay to give as a treat, most of them love it! You want to get the plain, unsweetened. Stay away from the kinds with added sugar, corn syrup, or artificial sweetener.

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have been giving them plain yogurt and you are right they go nuts over it!!! I also thought it would be good because I serve it cold and thought it might help cool them down a bit.
    I just thought I better check because they are starting to expect it every evening and are even starting to snub other treats because they want their yogurt! [​IMG] You don't think they are starting to get spoiled, do you! [​IMG]
    But yes, they go crazy everytime I give it to them and they love it! I also mix it with some feed to make it kind of gruely and I put their vitamins in it so I thought I was doing something good but wanted to be sure about the yogurt.

Thanks!!!!!

5. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    I still haven't decided about yogurt, either. Here's a link to a debate raging on a different thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3803171

It sounds like many avian vets don't recommend yogurt, but say it's not as bad for chickens as milk. Some people think the vets are just discriminating against holistic medicine, while others laugh at the idea that a bird would need the same gut yeasts and bacteria as a mammal. [​IMG]

6. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thank you for the link! It still has me confused though. I hope giving some as a treat will not harm them. I will have to keep an eye on them to see if they get diarrhea but I haven't noticed anything yet. They really do like it though!

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    OK here is my take. About 1 min spent on google comparing commercial poultry probiotic bacteria to those found in Yogurt.
    Take Lactobacillus, often found in yogurt and often found in commercial poultry probiotics.

So buy the commercial stuff for lots of money with a fancy package and a picture of a chicken or feed a little yogurt..
    Your choice.
    Just do the research.

ON

8. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    Quote:That's how I look st it as well.

9. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA