Yogurt Recipe Challenge

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Oregon Blues, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I need more recipes that use plain yogurt. I have a good recipe for pineapple upside down yogurt cake and a good recipe for Tandoori Chicken, but I need more things to do with plain yogurt.

So here's the challenge. If someone will post a good recipe that uses yogurt, I will post my cake recipe or my Tandoori recipe, they can choose which. Then if someone will post another good yogurt recipe, I'll post whichever recipe I didn't post the first time. (I've really only got two earth shatteringly good yogurt recipes so after that I'm out).

OK guys, the gauntlet has been thrown down. Who has the best recipes that use yogurt? Bonus points if the recipe also uses eggs. Since I am sure most of us always have lots of eggs to be used up.

2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Maybe not the "best", but I use plain yogurt & eggs to make quiche.
    8oz of yogurt & 3 eggs plus whatever cheese, meat, etc you normally use.

I also make smoothies with plain yogurt & fresh fruit - banana, strawberries, whatever is in season. Sweeten with a little honey & blend into a great drink. Add some orange juice if you like it a little thinner.

I've also subbed plain yogurt for sour cream on a baked white or sweet potato and used it in place of milk in cornbread.

And I use it for tandoori too, mixed with coriander, paprika, ginger, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper.

Your cake recipe sounds good - please post?

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I eat yogurt with my black bean soup.

4. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I put this recipe together because I had a ripe pineapple and plain yogurt and they both had to be used up. It turned out to be delicious.

Pineapple Upside Down Yogurt Cake, recipe works with Gluten Free Flour

350 F preheat oven

I fresh pineapple cut into cubes, or a tall can of pineapple, either chunks or rings
    1 Cup brown sugar
    1 cube of butter, melted

Place melted butter, sugar, and pineapple in the bottom of a baking dish so that they are distributed evenly . Pour cake batter over the top and bake

French Yogurt Cake

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup ground almonds

2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder

Pinch of salt

14 Tablespoons sugar (I measure 1 cup and remove 2 Tablespoons)

1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt

3 large eggs

1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup flavorless oil, such as canola or safflower

Mix together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt and keep near by.

Add the yogurt, eggs and vanilla to the bowl and whisk vigorously until the mixture is very well blended, add sugar. Stir in the dry ingredients, then switch to a large rubber spatula and fold in the oil. YouÂ’ll have a thick, smooth batter with a slight sheen. Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top.

Bake 40 -50 minutes or until the cake begins to come away from the sides of the pan; it will be golden brown and a knife inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack, cool for 5 minutes, then run a blunt knife between the cake and the sides of the pan. Unmold and cool to room temperature pineapple side up.

Cooks notes:

The fresh pineapple was good because it was a good pineapple. I don't see any huge advantage of using fresh over canned, since it ends up cooked.

I grind the almonds in the food processor and the cake is better if the almonds are ground fine.

I've made the cake with both regular yogurt and Greek yogurt and both work well.

I had a lot of pineapple so doubled the cake recipe (which is 1 3/4 Cups sugar).

The combination of the pineapple topping with this cake instead of the usual yellow cake turned out to be a magic combination.

I baked to an internal temperature of 190 degrees and the cake was perfectly done.

I use gluten free flour and this is one of those recipes that makes the transition well without additional adjustments. Depending upon which flour you use, you might have to also add Xanthan gum.

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I was wanting the cake recipe but I will post anyway.

Harvest salad
    Cut into bite sized pieces
    crisp apples
    celery
    add
    grapes (whole or halved, remove seeds if any)
    pecans or walnuts coarsely chopped or use halves if you have plenty of nuts

(I mix green apples with red grapes, red apples with green grapes, both color apples and both color grapes....I don't use green apples and green grapes cause it's not as pretty)

Mix plain yogurt, lemon juice and zest and sugar or sweetner to taste. Add a dash of cinnamon. Mix with fruit.

Makes a nice fruit salad at Christmas or any time and left overs are good for a day or two if you have any that is.

I use yogurt instead of sour cream, instead of milk, instead of butter milk, instead of fat etc in many dishes. I am buying low fat, since I only have access to grocery store dairy I havne't ever made my own.

6. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Tandori Chicken

Ingredients:
    2 pounds chicken, cut into pieces
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 lemon, juiced

1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
    1/2 onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
    2 teaspoons garam masala
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Garnish
    2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
    1 lemon, cut into wedges

Directions:
    1. Remove skin from chicken pieces, and cut slits into them lengthwise. Place in a shallow dish. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and lemon juice. Set aside 20 minutes.
    2. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, and cayenne pepper. Mix until smooth. Spread yogurt mixture over chicken. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours (the longer the better).
    3. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high heat, and lightly oil grate.
    4. Cook chicken on grill until no longer pink and juices run clear. Garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges.

Cook's notes: The marinade will burn so cook the chicken on the barbecue with indirect heat.

I make my own garam masal, but you can buy it ready to use.

7. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What do you use for your masala?

A friend made me some and hers had cumin, cinnamon, coriander, pepper & ??? (can't recall what else)
    She also told me to add some of it to plain yogurt and serve over a cut up apple - Mmmmmmm : 9

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by