Yogurt versus Probiotics

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jances13, Oct 31, 2015.

1. jances13

jances13 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    Hi Everyone,

Am new to raising chickens .I have 6 Rhode Island hens. I am feeding them a layer feed . I am quite confused as too weather to give my chickens just regular low fat yogurt or buy probiotics? I've read a lot of posts saying that chickens don't digest diary products so its better to buy probiotics ?

Also any suggestions on supplements to keep the chickens free of disease and worms etc ?
    And any reviews on Dumor's 5 grain scratch versus Pride scratch ?

Open to all suggestions and advice .

Hope everyone has a great weekend . :)

Thanks,
    Jances

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Hi and [​IMG]

I think they would both be good, the natural pro-biotics in the yogurt help them to digest it. I don't give my chickens much supplements so I'm not sure about that. If you post in new member introductions https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions you will probably get tons of replies, some sections of the forum have more activity than others. [​IMG]

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Feed a quality balanced ration, and don't bother with the suppliments. Not needed! Some scratch, free range goodies, and maybe from the kitchen, and you are good to go. Unless your birds never hit the ground, parasites may happen; there's no other way to prevent them. Some flocks have to be treated often for worms, lice, and mites, and some don't, depending on the ground and wildlife where they live. Mary

4. jances13

jances13 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    HI,

Thank you both for your help. I really appreciate it . Have a great week . :)

Jances

5. jances13

jances13 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    Thank you both for your help . I really appreciate it . Have a great week . :)

Jances

6. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    You're welcome, [​IMG] and have a great week too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by