Yogurt What kind and how much

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Savvymamma, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Savvymamma

Savvymamma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Michigan
    I recently received a very healthy trio of bantam faverolle's and absolutely LOVE the little dears. It was recommended to give them plain yogurt regularly for digestive tract health. Can I give them other variety/flavors or should I stick with plain? I would really like to give them blueberry to take the benefit of the antioxidant properties of these powerpacked fruits. [​IMG] Plus this flavor and vanilla are my family favorites, so we have LOTS of them on hand and not much of the plain. Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Plain, no sugar, active culture yogurt is best. The artificial flavors, colors, sugar, etc, are not the best thing for the birds. Mine may get a bowlful once a week or I use it to cool off hot oatmeal in the winter.

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    [​IMG] What speckledhen says. I give mine plain, nonfat, probiotic yogurt. It is high in protein, no fats and all the good bacteria that they need. I sometimes mix mine with hardboiled eggs (like eggsalad) and give it for breakfast. My girls demolish it in less than 5 minutes![​IMG]

4. HeidiG

HeidiG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hampton, VA
    I've read that a lot of poeple give their chickens yogurt. When I tried giving it to mine they looked totally offended, and spent the next 5 minutes trying to clean it off of their beaks! [​IMG]

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Mine got some this morning with flax seeds sprinkled all over the top...they loved it!

6. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:My girls like it. They like it even better if I mix it with some feed.

7. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Quote:Mine, too! They ate the Whole Thing! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some birds like it better than others and many birds never even see yogurt. It helps to have it around when you have chicks who are at an age where they are susceptible to cocciodiosis, though.

9. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    my chicks are a month old. can i give it to them now or should i wait

10. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    My love it....it is the same as us taking probiotics, it just helps the digestive tract, to occasionally give it to them:cd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by