Yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GuineaLady93, Sep 12, 2011.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Some people talk about feed yogurt to their birds. What are the benefits of feeding my birds yogurt?

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    It puts good bacteria in the birds gut to help with digestion and provides more than 12 minerals, vitamins, and calcium. Even better than yogurt is Kefir with more than 42 friendly bacteria, vitamins and minerals.

3. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Ok, a couple of my guinea keets crops are impacted. Do you think that will help?

4. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I too read that many people give yogurt for beneficial reasons. Thought I'd try it too. Unfortunately it didn't prove to be so good for my flock. It gave them all VERY runny poos. I only fed them about 1/2 cup (for all, not each) a couple of times in a week. I know many people have great luck with it, I just thought I'd give you my experience.

5. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    I got some today. I hope they like it!

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I got some plain greek yogurt today and my chicks just walked through it. A few tried and didnt seem interested in it. I will try again in a week or so or blend it into a mash with some feed

7. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    I mixed plain yogurt with a little molasses and then mixed that with their chick starter, I put about a cup of it for 10 keets, and they loved it! They ate every scrap!

8. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Mine will eat it as is, but I've heard that sometimes it takes mixing a treat they already like with the yogurt, to get them to start eating it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by