Yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coonhoundmama87, Dec 27, 2011.

1. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have some fruit on the bottom yogurt that I plan on feeding to my chickens but my question is what is the best way to give it to them? Should I freeze it so they can peck at it or pour it in a dish?

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    What's fruit on the bottom yogurt? Is it sweet? You should never feed them sweet processed stuff. And also yogurt isn't good for chickens... which is bad because they love it xD But if you do want to feed it to them, pour it in a dish and they'll half drink-half eat it. Chickens' mouths are very sensitive to heat and cold, and they don't usually like frozen things. [​IMG]

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    My chickens LOVE frozen yogurt lumps. I freeze it right in the container and then turn it out in their run. In summer it is gone in minutes. When I pour it in to a dish, unfrozen, they peck and then abandon it. They end up turning the bowl over.

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Why would yogurt be bad for chickens? The probiotics are great for digestive health! It is the sigar you ahev to be mindful of.

5. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    That fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt won't have many probiotics in it. And chickens aren't made to eat yogurt - or they'd have evolved with hands to milk cows and make it!

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    it is very safe for your chickens to have yogurt. They love eating frozen things in the summer as it seems to give them some comfort during the heat. Just do a
    "search" on the subject and you can learn from the experience of others.

7. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    It's yogurt with fruit on the bottom so it's sweet from the fruit. Didn't think that would hurt them though.

8. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I would say stick with the kind that has no added sugar. The " natural" kind. Real cultured yogurt is different from cows milk. The culturing process bacteria "eat" the lactose. It's the reason many lactose intolerant people can eat yogurt. Sorry going on a tangent! LOL I don't think it's bad for them as long as it's only a teat and all it has in it is cultured milk ( natural yogurt)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by