Yogurt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Jun 18, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been reading of a number of people feeding chicks yogurt. This is a dumb question, but what type of a container do you use to feed them yogurt and how much do feed them? I just picture my chicks taking a yourt bath if I use something too big.

Thanks, Sonja

2. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well how old and how big are your chicks? Mine are almost 10 weeks old and I have 10 right now, and I just use a deep dish glass pie plate for them. They will get yougurt all over anyway so I give them a big enough dish that they can all gather around. I make Miss Prissy's home made yugurt recipe all the time for the girls and me! It is super easy, very yummy and I don't have to worry about running to the store if I run out because I never run out I just make more. I started my girls out on a couple of Tablespoons mixed with their crumbles on top to get them to try it, it took a couple of day to persuade them it was good, but now---- they practically knockk me down and steal the dish from my hands when I go in the pen. They are such greedy little girls! Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Mine get horribly messing when they eat it. I mix it with chopped boiled eggs in the beginning. Now that they are older and it is sooooo hot here I freeze the yogurt and give it to them in a big chunk. They LOVE it and peck out it for several minutes before it is all gone. I doesn't even have time to melt!

4. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Judymae that is a wonderful idea with the yougurt . I am always trying to think of new ideas to keep the girls cool in the heat. I will definately try this out on the girls very soon. Thanks for sharing that idea. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

It is messy.....I mix it with some chopped up greens....tends to be a bit less messy. [​IMG]

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Can you sahre Miss Prissy's recipe?

8. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Look down the list of forums...there's one for recipes. It's there.

It's quite a long thread, but if you can spare the time to read the entire thing, you'll answer your own questions! (Yes, wouldn't it be lovely if I took my own advice?)

Enjoy!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  10. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Quote:This is how one of my chicks got its name--yogurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by