yoke not absorbed???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Sep 8, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    What happens?? To not allow the yoke to absorb in chick before hatching? I had a chick that came out of the egg before the yoke had absorbed. The little one was eating and drinking and acted normal but, the yoke was just hanging out of the chick. After about a day, I tied a string around it to clamp it off. Then I snipped off the yoke. I didn't know what else to do. The chick lived a couple more days then died. What went wrong?? Can this be prevented? If so HOW!! I appreciate any information that I can get. Thanks!![​IMG]

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Did you, in anyway, attempt to help the chick out of the egg?

If so, it was just hatched before it was supposed to.

Without human intervention, I've personally never seen a chick hatch without having absorbed the yolk. Perhaps others may have a different idea...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I hate to say it, but I think snipping the yolk off may have been the problem.
    There have been lots of chicks I have read about on here hatched with the yolk not fully absorbed, just leaving them alone in the hatcher sometimes with a damp "diaper" on wll generally cause the yolk to finish absorbing.
    Think of it in terms of a premature chick, they just need another day or two to be ready.
    But yes, helping them out of the shell in anyway before they are ready can result in an unabsorbed yolk.

4. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Thanks for your reply. No, I didn't help the chick in any way. It came out with no human help. I thought maybe with the other chicks rolling the egg around too much may have caused the chick to come out before it's time. The yoke on the second day..I saw blood veins around it. I just didn't know what to do. I would never on purpose hurt any thing. I appreciate your input and time. THANKS! I wish I had know about the diaper. The damp diaper..what did you use for the diaper??? My sis in law did help out a chick and the yoke wasn't absorbed..she said it turned green..why would this happen? I'm learning then I teach what I have learned from you all!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by