Yokeless Eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TanksHill, Nov 15, 2008.

1. TanksHill

TanksHill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Vista, Ca.
    So, I believe I have asked this question before but I think I need more advice. Could yokeless eggs be a sign of old age? I have a mixed flock with a couple buff orp I have had the longest. Now I am not sure exactly how old. Not more than a few years. I am consistantly getting yokeless eggs. If they were larger I would market them, wow a great new cholesterol free egg. But their little kinda like a first egg minus the yoke. Could it be some kind of defficency in their diet? I lost most my flock last year because they wandered into the neighbors orchard and ate granular weed killer. So these girls stay in a long fenced in dirt floor run. Any sugestion would be great. thanks, g

2. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    wow i never heard of an yolkless egg before. but i pretty sure someone on here knows

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    This happens from time to time. They are called fart eggs. goggle it and it will tell you more than I can. I believe it is listed in poultry help under egg triva.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have never had it happen to me, but have seen a post on another thread with a picture of a yokeless egg.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    There is also a post on another thread that had a picture of a tiny perfect egg inside an egg, 2 in 1.

6. TanksHill

TanksHill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Vista, Ca.
    Yes I have seen the other threads showing the little eggs. Most people say its a rare occurance. For me this hen is laying these eggs several time a week. It's like shes just out of yokes. That's why I thught it might be old age. I guess I need to keep track of the hens ages from now on. Who knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by