Yokohama: How Cold is Too Cold

mickichan

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2023
I ordered several Yokohamas this year to try and start a new breeding line but I'm getting nervous because I know they are not cold hard. I live in Utah in a planting zone 6a. I'm planning on getting them into an enclosed coop and an outdoor run, but how concerned do I need to be about them dying from the cold? How much heat should I plan on supplying for them in the winter months? All my other chickens are pretty heat and cold tolerant and I don't use heat in their coop because I'm paranoid about fires.

I ordered several Yokohamas this year to try and start a new breeding line but I'm getting nervous because I know they are not cold hard. I live in Utah in a planting zone 6a. I'm planning on getting them into an enclosed coop and an outdoor run, but how concerned do I need to be about them dying from the cold? How much heat should I plan on supplying for them in the winter months? All my other chickens are pretty heat and cold tolerant and I don't use heat in their coop because I'm paranoid about fires.
It’s not great mixing cold Hardy’s with hot Hardy’s because then it’s harder to regulate.. you can buy some solar powered heaters. https://www.amazon.com/Kesfitt-Chic...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Back
Top Bottom