Yolk burst and drowning chick in shell.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by guinea fowl galore, Dec 15, 2010.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    The chick pipped yesterday over 24 hours ago at the small end of the egg after a few hours the pip started looking "dirty" wetish and darkish, today after 24 hours I decided to help and picked away the shell, leaving the membrane. The chick has been gasping like it has some fluid in it's lungs and keeps swallowing stuff. I proped the egg up a little so the chickens beak is on the side. I went back and checked on it after a few minutes and the water in the tray under it was going orange from the stuff dripping ( that's when I figured it must be it's yolk ) so I thought I would get it out of the egg but when I peeled the membrane back it started bleeding ( strange seeing it's been pipped for over 24 hours ) so it's back in the incubator, gasping still.
    What should I do? what are the chances of it making it?

also there is a big storm going through her now and the power has been flickering [​IMG] oh I hope it stays on.

2. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I would leave it. I would prop it up so the beak is on the upper part of the shell, but if there is still blood in the membrane, then there isn't much to do. I would be surprised if it survived with puncturing the yolk sac, but its always possible. It does suggest the yolk sac isn't absorbed yet, so it isn't ready to hatch.

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    is this the chick in the double yolker? just curious. i would also leave it alone. you've done enough for it, cuz now, if it just has the membrane, it should be easy for it to "hatch". i would've done the same thing. poor lil' chicky!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had a duckling do that a few months ago. In the morning when I left for work i was sure it would hatch during the day. I got home and heard the weirdest noise coming form the bator- The poor little thing was trying to move to keep its beak out of the fluid- but each time it moved- more yolk would leak out. It had pipped right at the top of the egg- and rather then unzipping- i had pushed a hole out the top. I took the egg out for a look- realised what happened and tipped the egg carefully to drain some fluid. Once the duckling was able to move better- it pushed its way out of the egg in about 30 seconds. It survived- but was very weak for a few days. I actually didnt expect it to live as I was sure it would get an infection. A few days special care with vitamins and antibiotics in the water and the little one was ok.

Hope the powers stays on for you.

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Quote:It is not strange at all. I don't know why people think that when a chick pips that it is ready to hatch. It can easily take over 24 hours to hatch after pipping. Chicks are not little computers that follow a specific time-line. My chicks pip and hatch over about a three day time period. I don't open the unit and I don't touch them because if you do- this is what happens.

6. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    well it hatched out the rest of the way by itself and has the empty bloody yolk sack dragging behind it. I left it in the incubator till this morning ( it hatched late yesterday afternoon ) and now it is in a small box with a little silkie friend. It is quite weak. I have been giving it drops of water with vitamins in it. what else should I be feeding/giving it? it doesn't eat anything itself.
    I feel so sorry for the little thing [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Did it make it through the day??? I think you are really doing all you can for it - Trying to force something down its throat could be stressful for it. Has the little one with it been eating?? Does it look at the food with any interest or is it just too weak and not moving around much?? Do you have anything in the way of an antiseptic you can put around the navel? Keeping that area clean and dry is important to try an avoid an infection.

8. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    leave it alone and hope for the best

9. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Well It's still alive and getting stronger. I will put some bedadine on him/her soon. The sack thing has dried up now and hopefully it will fall off soon.

Now I have another australorp chick that's just gone downhill FAST. It doesn't get up at all or open its eyes, just sleeps. so I guess it'll either live or die, nothing much I can do about it unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by