Yolk Color Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adkins90, Jan 17, 2009.

1. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Hello All,
    I got some Barred Rock eating eggs from a friend of mine. When I went the fix the first eggs, I noticed the yolk color is very light. Is this normal? and safe?

I have never seen this before.

Michelle

2. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:Yes on both counts. Because the hens are getting a natural diet of grass and bugs along with natural light and fresh air, their yolks are much darker than the pale eggs from the store.

Here's my egg (bottom) compared to a store bought one:

[​IMG]

3. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    However... after RE-READING your original post, I see that my answer is probably not answering the right question.

I mistook 'light' to be 'bright' (silly eyes of mine... I'm in the process of getting my glasses replaced [​IMG] )

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    they are probably just fine. the chickens may not have access to lots of greens. depending on what the weather is near you, they may be eating formulated chicken feed which is just fine.

if you are concerned about freshness, take on of the eggs and drop it gently into a glass of water. if it rises, it's on the old side. if it drops to the bottom, it's very fresh.

the breed of chicken does not change the food part of the egg.

enjoy the eggs! [​IMG]

5. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Thanks for the post. I was just curious. I knew that the breed of bird, wouldn't change the egg. I was just concerned honestly, about disease or something to that nature.

I think they are fine, and tasted very good...LOL!

Michelle

6. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    yeah apparently yolk colour depends on thier diet.

and from my experience, free range chicken's eggs are brighter and less viscous than supermarket battery eggs...

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. It depends on the bird’s diet. My yolks are paler because my bird’s diet is primarily their feed I buy and what they scratch up in the yard. When my gardens are growing and they get more from the gardens, their yolks get brighter, richer in color.

8. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Since it is winter, I have been feeding my hens more scratch grain, which contains cracked corn. I find the corn makes the yolks much brighter and deeper in color. Genie

9. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Alfalfa pellets (or baled alfalfa, they love it) help in winter to get nice, orange yolks. Lots of beta carotene in greens.

10. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    My youngest lays eggs with paler yolks than the other two. They have access to the same food. The eggs are just as good to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by