Yolk colors! Super light!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heiditam, Jan 9, 2015.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

My eggs are on left-pale yellow is my columbian wyandotte(this is several shades lighter than a conventional egg). Deep yellow is my red star(I would say this is a hair darker than a conventional egg). More orange egg on right is a store bought pasture raised egg.

My CW yolk freaks me out. It is the palest yolk I have ever seen!

All my girls are just laying, about two weeks in. <3 She lays the least frequent altough still a good layer(nearly everyday). During the beginning of laying, they were eating mostly pale grains(wheat and oats and lentils) because they hated their pellets. It was like a strike, and I finally folded and went out and bought crumbles about a week ago, and they have been eating it now.

They all eat the same thing! purina layer crumbles, a green in AM(spinach or turnip greens), scant BOSS in afternoon, and then free range from 3-5ish.

Any ideas? Could she just not have enough pigment stores? Why are hers so diff from her sisters when they all eat the same diet?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

She needs to be outside more. It is winter, too...

3. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    I wanted to update this...she has been out more, and the rest of the girls' yolks have darkened accordingly, but hers are still light. They have not gotten one shade darker. It is even more of a striking difference since the other girls have orange/red yolks now. It is truly strange...

Her foraging and eating habits are the same as the other girls.

What worries me is that the other girl's yolks have changed colors with the different food I have given them and the amount of free ranging they have gotten, but hers have not changed shades. ?????

She is acting fine though. And, her eggs have always been this light shade.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by