Yolk just looks like a "blob"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harleyjo, Mar 5, 2012.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I am incubating some eggs and some of my yolk just look like blobs, for lack of a better way to describe them. Some of the eggs the shells are kinda dark and I just can't tell. Some of them are lighter that I can see better. I don't anticipate a good hatch. My dels are young and had only been laying a few weeks when I collected them. In my other coop of layers I have too many hens for one rooster. Both of these problems will be corrected. I have more pens that I will be building to separate the rooster and a few number of hens and the Dels will just grow up.

Some of the yolks also look there are pieces of yolk just scattered in the eggs. I am on day 10 right now.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    In the very early days of incubation, the yolk appears darker than a non-fertile egg and a couple days later will have the darker spot in the yolk shadow. Darker eggs make it harder. Basically, at 5-7 days incubation, look for vessels. Vessels = life.

3. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I can see the vessels in a couple but the rest of them I just don't know.

4. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    my last hatch candled alot of blobs and some of them hatched, I would write on the egg each time I candled what I thought I saw, and I wrote ok, or no but I left them in the incubator cause there was never any smell. I only candled three times. At 10 days 15, then at lockdown. I only saw one egg that I thought actually showed any growth, these eggs were brown, and very hard to see into, but I could see. I ended up with 6 of 14 with 4 duds, 1 fully developed but dead, and 3 with some development. Good luck with your hatch

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have five out of the sixteen that I can see development. Most are green EE mix eggs and they are too dark for me to see anything.

6. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    So far none of mine are smelling either so I am just going to let them go.

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    keep us updated as to what happens.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by