Yolk not absorbed on a newly hatched chick. Advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tigerlilymomma, Mar 9, 2013.

1. tigerlilymomma

tigerlilymomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    It's day 20 of incubation and one of my chicks has already hatched. She started with some yolk sac showing (maybe the size of an m&m) but as she's been moving around more is appearing. We're talking larger than a quarter size.

She was acting pretty much like I'm used to seeing a new chick act, but the amount is a definite concern and she seems to be weakening. Is there anything I can do to help her or am I probably going to lose her?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I actually had this happen with a duckling. What I did was, keep her in the bottom half of the egg shell. Wrap wet paper towels around the shell. Take a ziploc bag and cut a corner off, just big enough to pull her head through so she can breathe. Pull her head through the whole and close the bag around her and the egg. This will keep the yolk moist and let her absorb it. Here's a picture of what I did, since it would probably help to see what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

My little duckling pulled through, so don't give up on her!

3. tigerlilymomma

tigerlilymomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    I'll definitely try that if this happens again, but right after I posted the yolk sac fell off. She started eating and drinking almost immediately and then had a good 24 hours of solo rest in the brooder before her brothers and sisters started showing up. She looks great now but boy was I worried about her at first! Thanks so much for the information. :)

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I'm glad she made it! My little duckling had not absorbed her yolk AT ALL and her stomach was still wide open. It was really scary. Glad your little girl is doing well :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by