Yolk only?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EggieRowe, Jan 2, 2013.

1. EggieRowe

EggieRowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Could a hen lay just a yolk? I found a dribble of yolk down the side of the nest box and one white chicken is completely covered with it on her back. No trace of shell or egg white to be found just a little moist yolk in the nest box shavings.

2. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    I think it is possible. My hen laid a egg with no shell once. It had the egg white though and a " plastic-like " cover around it. Sometimes things just happen~

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    My hen layed just a yolk one time. Are you sure she didn't lay an egg and the other chicken ate the shell and other insides?? That happened to me before.

4. EggieRowe

EggieRowe Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one of those semi-transparent eggs before - it was freaky. I figured they would eat the yolk before the white because of just visual interest. I didn't find a single speck of shell or white in the pine shavings. The white chicken with orange highlights is hilarious to look at though!

5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If she's had a sickness (like a respiratory disease) she could have a defective shell gland, if it was only that time.. it most likely probably a blip or she and the others devoured it and flicked egg yolk on the wall.

6. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Seems very hard to imagine that she could successfully pass just a yoke during the laying process without the yolk being broken inturnally and much of the yoke remaining inturnal until much less identifiable fluid dripped out later. I too would suspect a very thin shelled "water balloon" egg that was left with only yoke after some activity post laying. They can lay some pretty odd eggs that first year though, so I would say hard to imagine but not impossible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by