Yolk outside the shell???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloom_ss, Dec 27, 2011.

1. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I got two eggs this morning, but one of them looks pretty bad. It had yellow stuff all over the outside of the shell that looked like it was yolk. Is this just a fluke thing, or is something wrong with one of my girls?? Don't know who laid the egg, but I have two girls that I know are laying and a possible third that may have started. I haven't gotten more than 2 eggs in one day yet though so I think it's just the two laying. The one with the stuff all over it wasn't even in the nest box...it was under the roosts in the poop. Here are the eggs from this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's all of the eggs I have gotten so far (minus one that my hubby just HAD to eat [​IMG] )...of the two eggs from today, the one that had the yolk all over it is the one on the right:

[​IMG]

Do you think I have more than two girls laying, or do their egg colors vary a bit every day? I hope that one egg from today doesn't mean something is wrong with one of them. [​IMG]

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I've had a schmear of yolk on the outside of an egg, but never so much as yours. Just the machinery getting going and working out the kinks? I hope someone more experienced me can answer your question...

3. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Thanks for the reply, ninabeast. I really hope it is just a new layer thing and nothing is wrong. Apparently no one else has any opinion on the subject since I only got one reply. lol [​IMG]

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Could it have been a very strange poop? [​IMG]

5. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:Well, I guess it's possible, but I have never seen poop that color from my chickens before. You can't really tell in the pic I guess, but it was yellow, not greenish yellow. When I washed it off, it had the consistency of yolk, not poop. It didn't come off easily in the water and it was sticky...just like the runny yolks that stick to the plate when I make over easy eggs for my hubby. [​IMG] lol I'm pretty sure it was yolk, but I really don't know what it was doing on the outside of the egg shell. [​IMG]

6. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Do you know the breeds you have

7. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:I have six EEs. Not a lot of variety. LOL [​IMG]

8. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Were there any superficial cracks on the egg that the yolk could have oozed from? The egg looks like it had been sitting in some yolk... maybe yolk from another broken egg that you didn't know about?

9. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:I looked all over for any evidence of another egg but I couldn't find any at all. I also checked the egg over really well when I washed the yolk off and didn't find any cracks. That egg is now sitting in my fridge and it looks just like a normal egg once I washed the junk off of the outside. lol I'm about to go out and check for eggs this morning since by now the ones that are laying should be finished, and I'll let you all know what I find today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by