1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Yolk sac outside

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sher, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    Hi, My forth hatching, finally successful, after I quit using the LG. So I am still new to this. My one chick that hatched last evening still had something attached to it. I think it is the yolk sack, Not all of it but about the size of half a marble. I let it alone and took the other two chicks out of the incubator this am. I left it in there, some o f the size has decreased, it doesn't seem to be in distress, is standing and sleeping and moving around. Will it be ok?

Sher, 2 Bearded Collies, 4 calves, 53 juvenile chicks, 3 just hatched, 7 runner ducklings and 7 Heritage turkey poults.

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    the yolk will absorb on its on [​IMG]

3. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    Thanks so much. The contents must have been absorbed, just left with a little hanging pouch. I'm afraid to put it in the brooder with the others. I'm afraid they'll pick at it, adn i don't know if the left over tissue should be kept moist or should I put it in the wood shavings to dry up?
    sher

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I would seperate it until the yolk is fully gone. [​IMG] The others might pick at it.
    You don't need to wet the left over yolk or anything, I had a chick like this before, Its pretty scary! But I think your chickie will be fine, as this is not anything serious. [​IMG]

5. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    THanks so much. It is scary. I had no idea what to do! I'll put it in my little "hospital" box and keep an eye on it. Thanks again!

[​IMG]
    sher

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Be sure to keep me updated on how shes doin'!! [​IMG]

7. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    I sure will. She is in her little box and is doing fine. Has a REALLY big voice and wants with the others. [​IMG] Have one more taking its time hatching, hope it is okay, so far so good!

Sher

8. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    Well, she didn't make it. I think she had a piece of bowel also out. I have another problem. I wish I hadnt done this hatch. Besides that one, one has curled toes, I was nto able to put the bandaid shoes on because she is so small, I have been exercising her feet and toes. She is walking and popping around. ALSO, I have one who I have had to continuously clean the vent on. I was up at 5 am when she started peeping really loudly and cleaned it again. Later I noted that she had a vowel movement. I checked her throughout the day, cleaned her one. I try to be really gentle, but now her vent appears blocked. ihave been applying warm water to the area by a cotton ball, and I put some neosporin on her bottom, it looked really swollen. She is un pain now, is standing a wide stance and peeping, she is swollen at the back and I can see white feces, but it seems to be hard. The warm compress doens't seem to be helping. hse is standing peeping quietly, with her eyes partially closed It is breaking my heart. Is there a solution?
    sher

9. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    sorry "bowel movement"
    sher

10. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:You might want to start a new thread with this new problem to bring attention to it with your title. Try something like "Is this pasty butt or something worse?"
    Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: