Yolk sac

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FamilyTrapper, Feb 25, 2014.

1. FamilyTrapper

FamilyTrapper New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    I have some 1.5 year old RIR that we use for eggs, lately I have been getting some yolks with what kinda looks like an embryo on the edge of the yolk. but we have no roosters in our coop. They recently started this but I have been able to use a spoon and scrap it off the egg before eating it, problem is I sell eggs to guys at work and my wife is worried one of them will get one. My guess is it is just one chicken that is doing it but that is only a guess...thanks for

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are you sure it isn't the chalazae. What does it look like? What color? How big?

does it look like this?
    http://www.datuopinion.com/chalaza

That's the coiled membrane that keeps the yolk centered in the egg. Sometimes it's more prominent but all eggs have them and is unnecessary to remove.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Something else you can do is look through the Egg Quality handbook for defects like blood spots and meat spots. You might find something that looks similar.

Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

It’s pretty common for some hens to lay eggs with defects like this. I have one that often lays an egg with a blood spot but I haven’t been able to figure out which one is doing it. I’m lucky that the people that get my eggs mainly have a farm background and know what’s going on. If someone doesn’t it can come as a bad surprise.

The commercial egg industry electronically candles their eggs looking for these defects so the customers don’t get an unpleasant surprise. The defective eggs are still safe to use. Commercial rejects normally are sold at a reduced price to bakeries or other places that beat the eggs up so the defects are hidden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by