Yolk Sack...again!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beckyloveschicks, Aug 23, 2008.

1. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    IN my last hatch, I had a baby hatch with the yolk sack unabsorbed and the poor thing was dragging this bloody mess around until we culled it.

Last night (day 20) I had one hatch and it's got the same problem. What is going on? Are my temps to high and they are starting to hatch too early? I had another hatch this am and she is just fine.

What gives?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What are your temperatures and humidity throughout the hatch?

Day 1 - 18?

Day 19 - hatch?

Did you help it hatch?

How much of the yolk sac is currently exposed?

If they are hatching before day 21, yes, something is hurrying them along.

3. beckyloveschicks

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    days 1-18 temp 101-102 (still air) humidity 35%-45%

18 until hatch, same temps, humidity 65-75%

I DID NOT help it hatch. My DH and DD helped the one last time and this time I won't let them near it.

The sac is broken now and it's about an inch long or so. The chick is walking around just fine (still in the bator) because I won't let anyone touch it.

ETA: This was the only one to hatch early. Today is day 21 and I have had one hatch so far today and there are 3 more that are pipped.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Its better to have 100-101 then the 102 (I have always understood) a higher temp, even if it is in "that spot" around your heat element, could be the cause.
    Have you sanitized it between hatches? (I don't want to sound accusing, just such a terrible thing, I've had it happen)

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would aim for 101 at the very top of the eggs since this is a second hatch with rough navel. Also set some thermometers in the empty bator and check for hot spots. You may need to move the eggs around when you turn them so that 1 egg doesn't spend the entire 21 days in the warmest area of the bator.

If the chick is up and running around keep it isolated in the incubator at least 24 hours. Then put it in a very warm brooder in an area where no other chicks can get to it. In another 24 hours the membrane should dry up and be brittle enough it falls off on it own.

Once the chick is fluffy the other chicks won't notice a rough navel and won't pick at it. Just because it has a bit of membrane doesn't mean it needs to be culled either. You need to cull them when they show a failure to thrive or the navel site doesn't heal over in 48 hours.

If the chick is up and running around and acting normal it will most likely be just fine after a day or two of your TLC.

6. beckyloveschicks

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by