Yolk Sack attached! No incubator what can I do???

PeepFanie

Hatching
Oct 26, 2015
Hello everyone, I'm new here and i need urgent help! One of my muscovy ducks started to peck at its shell to get out. I had gone to check on it yesterday multiple times but It seemed like there was no progress. So decided to help it out like the other ducklings I've helped previously. But I earned myself a surprise and I found out it had its yolk still attached! I cleaned some of the blood seeping out but I left half of the egg still with the duckling. I don't have an incubator so I did a layering of thin paper towels on the bottom (to get anymore seeping blood), a cloth around it and some aluminum foil. It's also inside the house where it's much warmer than outside since it is windy and a bit chilly here in North Carolina. Do you guys think it'll make it? I hope my mom doesn't put it back with the mama since she will most likely eat it and it will die :/ she's been known to do such a thing before...

Last edited:
How much sac? Can you post a picture? You want it on something soft, so it wont rupture the sac. Try to keep it as still as possible. And it needs to be warmer than just house temps. You can even use a regular house lamp, if that's all you have. Something to generate more heat. Keep it in a room that isn't drafty. If you have a soft stuffed animal that it could hug up to, that could help.

Is it eating or drinking anything?

Hello everyone, I'm new here and i need urgent help! One of my muscovy ducks started to peck at its shell to get out. I had gone to check on it yesterday multiple times but It seemed like there was no progress. So decided to help it out like the other ducklings I've helped previously. But I earned myself a surprise and I found out it had its yolk still attached! I cleaned some of the blood seeping out but I left half of the egg still with the duckling. I don't have an incubator so I did a layering of thin paper towels on the bottom (to get anymore seeping blood), a cloth around it and some aluminum foil. It's also inside the house where it's much warmer than outside since it is windy and a bit chilly here in North Carolina. Do you guys think it'll make it? I hope my mom doesn't put it back with the mama since she will most likely eat it and it will die :/ she's been known to do such a thing before...

The only idea I could offer is to place it near a heat source but be diligent about humidity. Premie babies are kept enclosed, heated and sanitary. Your hatchling may be more susceptible to diseases so wear a mask and gloves. Good luck.

Oh my. Like others have said, the little one needs to be kept nice and warm. If you don't have a heat lamp, can you put a little desk lamp or something over the duckling to keep him warm? Just make sure it doesn't get too hot, of course.

If you can place the bottom half of the duckling (including yolk sac) back into a piece of the shell and then put him in a cup, that should help. It needs to be kept warm and fairly still to allow it to finish absorbing the yolk. Humidity is also important so it doesn't get all dried out, but that will be difficult without an incubator. Maybe dampen a small cloth or paper towel inside the cup, under the egg shell? You know, so it's not touching the duckling, but maybe will give off a little humidity. "Duck in a cup" often works with these situations. Sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't. Keep us updated!

My concern would be the bleeding, he could bleed to death, Were you able to stop the bleeding? Does he have any more shell left?? If not, OUCH, you see most of his veins would still be attached to the inside of that shell and if you don't stop that bleeding, he's luck is very slim of surviving..

Need more information, a pic would be nice, you said something about paper towels? are they wet? you said something about aluminum foil? I would probably exclude that.

Depending on the seeping of the blood is going to determine his success rate...

Last edited:
Appears the OP hasn't been back since the original post.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom