1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yolk Sack Rupture in 5 day old Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rachelpotter, Nov 11, 2014.

1. rachelpotter

rachelpotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    I have a 5 day old Silkie cross chick that has been a poor-doer since hatching. Lone hatcher, other eggs died with temp spike 4 days before hatch. I have been doing with generalized weakness, curled toes, and now it has what looks like a ruptured yolk sac. At first I thought it was pasty butt, but when I cleaned off the dried stuff, I see this leaking hole in the lower abdomen between the umbilicus and the leg. Actively leaking what looks like yolk. I have brought this baby "back" from unrepsonsiveness with sugar water/ electrolytes, egg yolk mash three times over the past few days, but i am thinking it is time to let him/her go? Bummed because up until yesterday we FINALLY seemed to be getting somewhere! (finally eating on her own and moving decently around the bator) She is under a Brinsea Ecoglow with two other young chicks that I got to keep her company. I now have her separated in a tupperware container with soft cloths to keep the other chicks from messing with it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Oh no! I hope he made it! Sorry for not getting here sooner!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know, Rachel. It seems like anytime I help a chick they do what they want to do and either thrive or die. I guess what I would do is keep her fed and hydrated and hopefully time will give her a chance.

4. sweetsam

sweetsam Out Of The Brooder

Did your chick make it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by