Yolk sack unabsorbed and chick not walking

chicken111324

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2015
I had a chick that hatched about 36hours ago with an unabsorbed yolk sack. It is currently about half the size it was when it was born.

My chicks yolk sack is getting smaller I think and I gave it some water using a syringe.
I am worried because it is not standing or walking at all. It does lift its head up while lying on its side.

Is this normal or should I be worried?

I assume it's just because it's weak from the yolk sack or something and once that goes it will begin to walk and stand. Is this correct do you think?

Please answer as I am really worried

I dont have an answer to your situation but i would suggest to feed him with some nutritious solution.

Not sure if you still need info or not, but on the occasion when I have had a chick hatch this way, I place a moist wash cloth in a cup or bowl. I then lay the chick on top and place the cup/bowl back in the bator. I do check on the chick every few hours and change it's position so that it does not develop bed sores or the yolk sack does not stick. It can take any where from a few hours to a couple of days for it to reabsorb. My chicks never make an attempt to stand while the yolk sack is still present. At this point you do not need to worry about food or water for the chick. They are still getting nutrition from the yolk. Once the yolk is gone, I would leave him separated for a short time longer from the other chicks. When you do remove him from the bator you may want to give him some Pedialyte. Dip his beak in it but be sure that you are not submerging it and getting it in his nostrils. Give him some time. Most of mine have turned out fine. Good luck.

Not sure if you still need info or not, but on the occasion when I have had a chick hatch this way, I place a moist wash cloth in a cup or bowl. I then lay the chick on top and place the cup/bowl back in the bator. I do check on the chick every few hours and change it's position so that it does not develop bed sores or the yolk sack does not stick. It can take any where from a few hours to a couple of days for it to reabsorb. My chicks never make an attempt to stand while the yolk sack is still present. At this point you do not need to worry about food or water for the chick. They are still getting nutrition from the yolk. Once the yolk is gone, I would leave him separated for a short time longer from the other chicks. When you do remove him from the bator you may want to give him some Pedialyte. Dip his beak in it but be sure that you are not submerging it and getting it in his nostrils. Give him some time. Most of mine have turned out fine. Good luck.

Thankyou so much for your help i will use this if i have the same problem again as it is very good information. Unfortunately my little chick gave up its fight yesterday. I believe it must have had some internal problems.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a chick pass on me yesterday too. It's why I've been out of the loop over the last week. I'm glad to provide the info but sure hope you never need it. {{{hugs}}}

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a chick pass on me yesterday too. It's why I've been out of the loop over the last week. I'm glad to provide the info but sure hope you never need it. {{{hugs}}}

Thankyou so much. I am definately hoping i wont need this info but you never know. Have another 10 due monday

Back
Top Bottom