yolk seperate from egg white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ssetzer, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ssetzer

ssetzer New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Garner, NC
    Hi, I have a silkie named Barbie and she sometimes lays eggs that when cracked open to prepare, the yolk will come out of the shell but the egg white seems to stay "clumped"(couldn't think of a better description for it:)) and attached to the shell. The yolk is bright yellow and no discoloration to the egg white itself but its consistency just doesn't seem normal. Any thoughts?

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome! I don't know what would couse this.......How old is the egg? was it sitting in one place for a while?

3. ssetzer

ssetzer New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Garner, NC
    JUST A FEW DAYS OLD. I COLLECT THE EGGS DAILY.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just for reference, here is an article on egg problems

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

I don't see anything about this, though. It rather sounds like the egg became contaminated in some way. Perhaps there was a pinhole in the shell, and bacteria entered? Some chickens lay eggs with pinholes. Or if the egg might have been sitting in moist poop, this could cause bacteria to migrate through the shell to the inside.

There are probably other possibilities, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

5. ssetzer

ssetzer New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Garner, NC
    Thanks, I checked the link out and didn't see anything about it either. I will continue with the research.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It seems to me that you are dealing with a grade AA egg. The whites of the freshest eggs are noticeable stiffer than one a few days old.

If it still concerns you gently break an egg into a shallow saucer and compare it to a grade AA fresh egg. There are pictures here of AA eggs that I posted on how to grade eggs.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Odd that the white stays attached to the shell.
    Any chance you can post some pics?

Is this consistent or just once in while?
    Did she just start laying?

8. ssetzer

ssetzer New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Garner, NC
    Aart, she is three and I just started noticing it. Her diet hasn't changed. Chickengeorgeto...thanks, I haven't ever thought about the grade of the egg, LOL. I will check this out.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If she's 3, her egg forming functionality may be degrading....what breed is she?

GradeAA just indicates freshness of egg, white is thicker/taller when broken out onto a plate......
    .....the fact that the white is not coming out of the shell precludes a high 'grading' of an egg IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by