Yolk still attached to new chick. PICS.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nurse_turtle, Aug 2, 2011.

1. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    This one hatched last night and the yolk sac was still attached. It was the size of a large marble and seems to be getting smaller but I'm afraid to put him in with the others. What can I do? What is the proper procedure? This chick is tiny compared to his hatch mates. He is very active otherwise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Don't put the chick in with the others they will peck the sac and the chick , give it sometime to absorb and get fluffed up then try to put it in with the others. If it hatched last night how is it almost 24 hrs. later?

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I've had this happen, The chick was healthy but had a even much larger sac (then this one) I kept it seperated from the others for weeks. It finally dried up and fell off. I kept antibiotic ointment on it. This chick looked so funny with this large lump!! But HE grew up to be a beautiful pet rooster (probably cause I handled him daily. I had so many people tell me he wouldn't live. I'm glad I tried. I still have him to this day and he is 9 years old. I just love him he is a Barred Rock. Henry!

4. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    OK. I though maybe this would be a longer process. i am willing treat him and baby him until this blob falls off. I'll put him in my little "chicken hospital". I may place a mirror in there cuz I know they are social little creatures. Any other ideas are more than welcome. Thank you guys![​IMG]

5. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    If you have Veteriacyn spray some on it.. I had this happen this spring and sprayed it some where around 3 times a day.. He's a full healed lively Rooster now. We named him Lucky cause we thought he was lucky to live. Veteriacyn works wonders, the whole yolk sac was absorbed within about a day. Good luck!

6. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    There was no length of umbilical cord between the chick and the "sac". Upon closer inspection, this appears to possibly be at least partially bowel. The chick began trembling and seemed much less active. He was generally not thriving and so I had him culled. He was so tiny and weak. He gave it a good effort though.[​IMG]

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

So sorry, I was hoping it was another happy story. You tried thats what counts![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by