Yolk stuck on hatched chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksinthemachine, Aug 19, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    What am I suppossed to do? It has gotten smaller but the little guy is getting very tired because it wants to walk around but can't and his wing is stuck to it. Should I give a warm bath and what about the yolk.

2. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    you can gentlly rinse the chick in warm water, but make sure you dry the chick well and place it in the brooder.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Did the yolk sac not adsorb? If so. Leave the chick in the bator in a moist towel till it can adsorb as much as possible. If it is the yolk sac you are seeing, don't let it break open. If it's just gunk though and the naval is closed up, wiping the chick off would be fine.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yea some of my coturnix chicks came out with this off colored yellowish white gunk where their yolk is absorbed from...it eventually fell off or was pecked off by the other chicks...they're perfectly fine. [​IMG]

5. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Cool thanks for the info! At first I thought it was its' stomach or intestines but then I realized what it was it is really small now so I guess it's bath time and wish us luck! Nevermind he didn't make it through the night. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    :aww sorry to hear your little one didnt make it [​IMG]

7. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Poor little thing...it just happens sometimes...
    [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

8. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    The very last one is pipping very fast so I should have a pic soon and also I post a pic of the reddish brown one on the breed/gender site. You all should check it out. Is so cute and I'm going to name it Oddball and the first to come out name is Chance and the last one to come out is going to be Baby! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by