Yolk texture

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Coopscraft, Oct 23, 2019.

1. is there a way to affect yolk texture? I understand that beta carotene and vegetation rich in vitamin A precursors make the yolk darker. I wonder if there is a dietary component that affects the texture of the yolk.

2. And also are there ways to affect taste?

3. Is this a dumb question?

4. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    I don't think it's a dumb question. Not to gross anyone out, but things definitely affect taste. My first flock, a lifetime ago, had eggs that took on a strong, unpleasant taste at one point. After a few weeks we discovered that our septic tank leach field was compromised and the hens were joyfully drinking the, er, unclean, rank water. We called a septic company and had the problem resolved and also had a load of gravel laid over the swampy area. Then we tossed the eggs and didn't eat any for a couple of weeks.

With our current flock, we do our best to make sure they have clean, fresh well water and a clean diet, and nothing strong tasting, rotted, molded or otherwise nasty.

That was taste. I don't know how one would do anything about texture.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I don't think there's really any way (or reason) to affect yolk taste in a "positive" manner. Is there something you're dissatisfied with your eggs as they normally are? Certainly there's ways to ruin the taste, such as a fishy taste from feeding too much fish, or onion-y taste from onions.

BigBlueHen53 likes this.
  6. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Gotta respectfully disagree, @rosemarythyme ! Home-raised eggs taste MUCH better than those of commercial, or battery-raised hens! So yes, give your hens fresh air, sunshine, and exercise; let them scratch in real dirt and forage on real grass, forbs and weeds for real bugs, and their yolks will be superior in color, taste AND texture! The yolk will stand up in the pan rather than flattening out because it will be fresher. It may be more brightly colored, even a bright orange, from the greens the hens eat. And the eggs will be delicious!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What is 'wrong' with the yolk texture?

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    My hubby would agree with you but I gotta say I can't taste the difference between my eggs and a 99-cents-a-dozen store eggs in a blind taste test, and I'd like to think my sense of smell and taste are good enough since I do the cooking (taste taste taste) and the food acquiring/growing. That's something that people have verified both for and against in casual tests, so my guess is preparation has a lot to do with it.

The visual difference can be more pronounced, which is why I mention doing it blind.

9. Nothing. A friend rich is buying esoteric eggs that have a “darker richer yolk.” He has seen my backyard eggs. I am looking into whether I can figure out how to replicate or improve on the other version. Maybe they are being fed alphalfa?

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: