Yolk under roost and soft shell egg

Abby P

Chirping
Mar 17, 2022
Iowa
My chickens just started laying over the past week. I have a camera in my coop and noticed one of my hens in the nesting box and not on the roost. Upon investigation- she laid a soft shell egg and there was a yolk on the floor. I did notice a week ago a yolk on the floor as well but I can’t confirm it was from the same hen.

All of her other eggs I have gotten have been normal. This is the first soft one. Is this normal for a hen who just started laying? Is there anything I should do?

Yes, it's perfectly normal for new layers. Their bodies take a few months to work out all the kinks and figure out how to do it right. Besides soft-shell eggs and shell-less eggs, you may find very small eggs ("fairy" eggs), jumbo eggs and double-yolk eggs. Congrats on getting some eggs!

Yes, it's perfectly normal for new layers. Their bodies take a few months to work out all the kinks and figure out how to do it right. Besides soft-shell eggs and shell-less eggs, you may find very small eggs ("fairy" eggs), jumbo eggs and double-yolk eggs. Congrats on getting some eggs!
That is reassuring! Thank you. 🍳🙂

Back
Top Bottom