1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yolk VERY Firm...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cheeptrick, Aug 5, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok...I just cracked an egg and this yolk is the most gorgeous HIGH/firm yolk I have ever seen. We hatched Roo couple months ago and I think he is 'ahem' coming of AGE so to speak.

Will the presence of a roo change the consistencies of the yolks?

Have others noticed a difference between eggs from flocks without roos or with?

Our girls yolks prior to Mr. Roo were kind of saggy in the middle if you can understand that without pictures....maybe I'll post some next time I break a few.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I did notice that my fertile eggs were firmer then my non fertile eggs. Was that one fertile? Having a white ring around a white dot in the yolk?

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It was...nice bullseye. The white was completely clear too...usually it is kind of cloudy when they were unfertilized. Guess this new little Cuckoo Maran I hatched out in April is doing his duty...he is holding sentry while his girls free range too. It is very sweet to watch...my older girls have really taken a liking to him being around!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by