yolk with no shell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jtpoll, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jtpoll

jtpoll New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Bend
    I have 6 hens all of which are around 4-6 months old 3 wyandotte and 3 leghorn. This past week 2 of the leghorns started laying. About 3 days after they started laying one of the hens was standing still and seemed puffed up, and she had watery stool that actually looked just like egg white. The first thing i thought was she was egg bound, so i checked her for an egg and put her in a warm water bath. I put my finger in her vent very far and could not feel an egg. I am a vet tech so i looked at a stool sample under the microscope and saw a few coccidia, nothing too alarming, so i decided to treat her for coccidai since this seemed the likely cause. This afternoon she layed an egg yolk, just the yolk no shell and her stools are completely back to normal. Has anyone else seen this? I assume if the yolk was intact there shouldn't be any shell because the yolk would be broken. Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking if her stool is normal now i should not treat her for coccidia if she is not symptomatic. Thanks! Mom to 6 hens, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 toad, 1 dragon, 4 beetles, 2 human kids, and a husband!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG]

When pullets first start to lay, it is not at all unusual for them to lay strange eggs. Soft shelled eggs, eggs with no shell, double yolkers, extremely small eggs, eggs with no yolk, or even yolks by themselves. Most do OK but it takes a while for some to get the kinks out of their internal egg laying factory. If it continues for more than two weeks, then you may have a problem, but it is extremely likely she will get it together pretty quickly.

Good luck!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    jtpoll. You originally stated you saw a few cocci under the microscope but wasnt alarmed. I agree with your assessment that you should not treat her because her poops are normal. I'd just keep observing her poops as best as you can for any sign of blood or other abnormalties. Ridgerunner is correct when pullets first start to lay, alot of different things happen. I had one of my favorite four year old Barred Rocks drop a yolk and white only egg in the pen late this afternoon (no shell.) She was acting sluggish and didnt want to go to roost in the chicken house. I checked her vent and she had a soft shell hanging out about a half inch. I gently pulled it out and checked inside her vent and it was clear. She's doing much better but I have her in the hospital cage in the garage til the morning. I wish you the best.

4. jtpoll

jtpoll New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Bend
    Thank you all for your advice, I truly appreciate it! She's still doing well and her stools are completely normal now, so I'm going to chalk it up to her being so young yet. Thank you again! Tricia & Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by