*Yolkiest Warrior* White Leghorn vs. Ameraucana. Help me write my english paper

Given the categories, Which breed do you think is the Yolkiest Warrior?

• Ameraucana

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • White Leghorn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EagleTheHenpecked

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Demotte
The first essay assigned for the year is a compare/contrast essay and i have a
great idea. Lets compare and contrast two breeds of chickens in a sort of
"deadliest warrior" competition. for those of you who have never seen the show,
they do tests to see the high and low qualities of both sides in a number of
categories and pit them against each other. they then compile the data and crunch the numbers and at the end it is a dramatized battle between the two sides to choose a victor. Obviously we won't be staging a virtual cockfight but i want to find your guys opinions on two breeds of chicken to put them to the test. This will be on a backyard flock basis only, since this is BACKYARD chickens, and our categories are the things anyone would consider when choosing a breed for their backyard flock. (if i forget anything that should be a category let me know.) My categories are: Meatiness, laying ability, temperament, hardiness to hot and cold, ability to be confined, attractiveness, and most importantly, ultimate profitability. The two breeds i'm putting beak to beak are the hometown classic White Leghorn and the rare and often faked Ameraucana. Obviously both breeds have huge advantages over one another, but i could see this competition getting pretty close when it gets down to the wire. Enthusiasts from both sides have at it! i'm really looking forward to seeing your opinions and having plenty of research for my paper. oh and if any of you guys has a copy of the new standard of perfection i'd like to have the data on both of them because i dont have one nor can i get it; but it is an amazingly credible source for my paper.

come on guys, i know you have something to say about these breeds, there are many people who love these breeds and have something to say one way or another about them.

Cock fighting is against the law. Any fights in our yard are stopped and if it can't be, they are separated, if it continues the one that keeps starting it is sold. They will fight to the death if a loud to do so. I came home one day to my Giant Black Jersey dead and killed by a Spitzenhauben. It is no good. Just saying

re-read the thread, it says "Obviously we won't be staging a virtual cockfight but i want to find your guys opinions on two breeds of chicken to put them to the test." i want to get information and research straight from the people who have been working with these breeds for years so i can write an informative paper in a creative way, like a points system, white leghorn would get a 10/10 in laying, but like a 4 in meatiness, where Ameraucana would get a 9/10 in attractiveness because of the blue eggs, but would get like a 5 in meatiness, add up the points at the end, declare a victor and there's the best of the two breeds. make sense? i'm not going to assign my own points because i'm biased for ameraucana, so i want to see some good arguments on both sides to make the most fair judgment i can.

Why don't you go to the club websites for the two breeds? I know the Ameraucana site (www.ameraucana.org) has a paraphrased version of the Standard of Perfection there. You can get the main gist of a breed's SOP by looking at the club websites. You can do this part of your research yourself since SOPs are an objective listing of traits, not particular merit-based descriptions. You won't be undermining your objectivity in doing that.

I think you aren't getting many replies because the way you've asked for the information makes it sound like you don't want to do the work yourself. Most of what you're asking for is available already- SOPs, breed traits, and attractiveness is always going to be in the eye of the beholder, so you could determine that yourself just by googling pictures of the chickens. For instance, knowing the comb type and feathering of both of these birds allows you to determine cold and heat hardiness without waiting for BYCers to reply. Ex- Leghorn: origin- Mediterranean. Large, single comb and tight feathering= good in heat, not so good in cold.

Good luck with your essay.

re-read the thread, it says "Obviously we won't be staging a virtual cockfight but i want to find your guys opinions on two breeds of chicken to put them to the test." i want to get information and research straight from the people who have been working with these breeds for years so i can write an informative paper in a creative way, like a points system, white leghorn would get a 10/10 in laying, but like a 4 in meatiness, where Ameraucana would get a 9/10 in attractiveness because of the blue eggs, but would get like a 5 in meatiness, add up the points at the end, declare a victor and there's the best of the two breeds. make sense? i'm not going to assign my own points because i'm biased for ameraucana, so i want to see some good arguments on both sides to make the most fair judgment i can.
I would up the rate for the Ameraucana higher, as I have never ate one, I have Asian friends that say it is the best chicken meat they've ever ate. Friendliness of the leghorn is horrible 2/10. Ameraucana 9/10 I would say 10/10 but I'm bias

Last edited:
(@ OldChurchEggery1) that may be possible, and don't get me wrong, i'm doing tons of research as well. i've looked up microfische of newspapers and books and online posts, all kinds of things. i wasn't really looking for others to write my paper as much as i would have liked to see others bring up good points in specific rebuttal to the points others made as far as those breeds go specifically. i'll admit i havent looked very hard but i seriously doubt i'll find much in the way of people specifically comparing these two breeds. in other words, i could take it from an entirely academic point of view and make my own decisions based on traits that have already been recorded (like everyone knows that leghorns have a tendancy to get frostbite on their combs) , but i like the input of others and quotes directly from people other than myself adds to the flavor of the overall essay. (example: a story about someone having the combs of their leghorns cut off to prevent frostbite and the lower productivity frostbite brings) I would much prefer to read the stories and the discussions go back and forth.
'

Back
Top Bottom