Yolks keep breaking

Jmpeters

Songster
10 Years
Aug 6, 2012
central il
What causes yolks to break in the incubator? I only have one hen, i made one incubator cor the first 25 days and made a seperate hatching incubator to put the egg in after that. but everyday I put the egg in the incubator and so far the first 6 eggs have been broken by day 5. Any suggestions?

Oh no sorry, when I candle the egg, the yolk inside is broke. Till my motor for the egg turner I built comes in, I am turning by hand. I only have time to turn them 3 times a day. At 6am, 4pm, and 11 pm. My kids are only home when I'm home so they can't turn them anymore.

No I haven't but when I candle them, it's not even round. If I hold it on its side and candle it, the yolk will take up the whole side, not no round shape. Sorry I can't describe it any better. It's just clearly broke.

Ill crack one open when i get home to make sure. Yes it's my first time incubating. Never had ducks (or any other poultry or fowl) before either till this spring. Planned on having 8 ducks, ended up with 12, then raccoons killed all but 2 in one night. One male, one female, thought that was kinda lucky despite losing the rest. So I figured I'd try to incubate some.

ok since I am a visual person here are a couple of candled eggs (just took these)

Fresh duck egg from our Silver Appleyards laid in the last 2-3 days

Newly arrived SHIPPED egg for hatching ordered on Saturday. Shipped Monday, arrived today (Wednesday)

Back
Top Bottom