York County, PA

Michelle Guynn

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 2, 2017
Would it be safe to say that if your property is zoned rural or you are on at least 2 acres it’s safe to have roosters? I’m moving there in less than a yr and don’t want any problems having roosters.

Thx

I checked with my township. My particular home is zoned agricultural so I can have any manner of animals (I have 14 acres and particularly needed to know how many horses I could keep so my realtor had to contact the township several times and we asked about building sheds/run ins which would also apply to coops, etc).
But I am also York county. I googled my township bylaws and went through their ordinances.

I wouldn't assume anything. Best to check with the town or county's ordinances. If you're zoned agricultural, I would say that's far more likely to be ok, but zoned rural isn't necessarily enough.

Oh I also made sure the township sent me via email the actual ordinance he was quoting stating I could keep or build what I needed. So I had proof down the road.
But that’s certainly something you can put on your realtor as a necessity.

York County - I am in East York and can have total 6 animals on my property which is in an older development- Chickens have to be 100 feet from any neighbor and a road. City Clerk is Diana Thompson. If you are outside of Dillsburg Burrough on 2 acres you can have chickens.

Back
Top Bottom