York County, PA

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Michelle Guynn, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Michelle Guynn

Michelle Guynn Songster

Jul 2, 2017
    Would it be safe to say that if your property is zoned rural or you are on at least 2 acres it’s safe to have roosters? I’m moving there in less than a yr and don’t want any problems having roosters.

Thx

2. Doublete

Doublete Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    York County, PA
    I checked with my township. My particular home is zoned agricultural so I can have any manner of animals (I have 14 acres and particularly needed to know how many horses I could keep so my realtor had to contact the township several times and we asked about building sheds/run ins which would also apply to coops, etc).
    But I am also York county. I googled my township bylaws and went through their ordinances.

Wolfefarmyard likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I wouldn't assume anything. Best to check with the town or county's ordinances. If you're zoned agricultural, I would say that's far more likely to be ok, but zoned rural isn't necessarily enough.

4. Doublete

Doublete Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    York County, PA
    Oh I also made sure the township sent me via email the actual ordinance he was quoting stating I could keep or build what I needed. So I had proof down the road.
    But that’s certainly something you can put on your realtor as a necessity.

5. Haleybo

Haleybo Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    Which municipality in York County?

6. Michelle Guynn

Michelle Guynn Songster

Jul 2, 2017
    Not sure yet. Thinking Dover or Dillsburg area. We want at least 2 acres.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: