York County SC RC-1 chickens allowed yes or no?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Rockhilljoe, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Rockhilljoe

Rockhilljoe Hatching

Feb 3, 2019
    I've had chickens with one rooster for about a year now in Lessile SC which is a RC-1 zoned neighborhood. When checking the zoning laws and ordinances I don't see anything that says you can't have them. Are they allowed or not? I've seen some threads saying they have received notices to get rid of them in an RC-1 zoned property. I would like to know if they are allowed or if there have been any changes to the ordinances? Thanks!

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Type 'South Carolina' in the search bar at the top of the page, and locate your state thread. Perhaps someone there can answer your question. Good luck.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
  4. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Songster

Mar 19, 2016
    34.560847, -81.154203
    My Coop
    I've spent the last few months looking for houses in York County and I can say if you''re looking to keep chickens you're actually better off getting property in town than out in the country because city ordinances take precedence and the county ordinances regarding chickens are funky beyond belief!

As I understand it only certain zoning can have chickens and it's much more limiting that other livestock; although you can have horses, sheep, pigs even cattle on less land, in order to have poultry your property must be at least five acres in size! Worse, enforcement is spotty at best so while you might be able to get away with it it's a crap shoot at best. There are movements about to change this (at least for "pet" poultry) but to my knowledge nothing is set in ink yet.

If I can find the online .pdf file again I'll post a link here.

I'm not sure about Lesslie (isn't that Lancaster Co?), but Rock Hill allows pet chickens (no roosters) limited to four, and they must be "kept" no closer than 35 feet from any human domicile. In Clover, where I'm moving, it's also four (again no Roos) but the property must be at least 10,000 feet in total area (a smidge less than 1/4 acre). York I believe prohibits chickens altogether within city limits as does Fort Mill.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: