Yorkie Vs Chicken - Graphic Pics......I Need Advice

Ducati

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Hi Forum

I need some help. My Yorkie and my chicken got in a fight, and it looks like the Yorkie got the best of him. I am not sure if they are life threatening injuries? How to treat the wounds? What to do if they are serious? I hope these pics help you all answer some of these questions for me. I'm really concerned. He seems to walk fine and he is eating now. This must have happened while we were out and we just got home. Maybe 1-2 hours ago????

What should I do????

24270_chicken_injury_1.jpg

24270_chicken_injury_2.jpg

24270_chicken_injury_3.jpg

24270_chicken_injury_4.jpg

24270_chicken_injury_5.jpg

as long as he doesnt have any internal injuries (Which you wont know about) he should be fine. just keep the area VERY clean. Maybe even cover it with some type of medical wrap for the 1st few days? Then remove it and let it heal

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are pretty mild as far as dog bites go! Clean the wounds with rubbing alohol and isolate him so his buddies don't make them worse. If he's eating and drinking... AWESOME. Put him on a mild antibiotic and keep him happy. He should be ok.
big_smile.png

I only have 2 chicks. Both were traumatized I'm sure. This one took the brunt of the beating, as well as is also higher on the pecking order than the other. Do you think I still need to seperate this chick from the only one other I have, espacially since this one rules the roost?

Also, if I had a rooster would it have helped prevent my yorkie from doing this? Would the rooster have the ability to kill my small yorkie?

Also, wont rubbing alcohol sting terribly? How about some backtine...I have kids that are always hurt...will that work too?

Quote:
Yes, but it will kill all bacteria and won't actually kill the tissue. What are the active ingredient in backtine? There are some medicines that are toxic to chickens.

Yes and no, depends on the rooster. A roo would definitely sacrifice himself to protect his girls, but he may lose his life in the process. I don't think he would kill your dog, unless you got a big bad boy like a Shamo. Those birds are smart and know where to hit to kill. If you want a roo to protect your hens, get something big like a Jersey Giant or a Cochin. Size is intimidating, but these guys are pretty gentle.

Alcohol will sting, I would keep clean with dilute iodine or similar wound cleaner, and put him on an antibiotic. The important thing would be to keep it clean. I would keep the wound open, (no bandage, this could cause festering unless changed very often) and keep the chicken inside. You don't want flies laying eggs in the wounds. If he is eating then so far he is doing ok. Good luck!
smile.png

I agree that his injuries are not that bad. Just keep him clean and separated to keep others from pecking his wounds. He'll look a lot better once he dies from the dog slobber, too.

I'd leave the alcohol. It will burn. We just clean the debris out of the wounds and dress with a poly/neosporin. Dog bites are generaly clean. The after care and internal injuries are what you need to be concerned with now.

Back
Top Bottom