1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yorkingese

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by siz8003, Jan 19, 2008.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    does anyone have one of these dogs? I am trying to find out what one will look like when it is big and what kinda dog one will be

2. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
  3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    mature to be approximately 4-9 lbs as adults. They are very cute and loving to their family, but they are not the dogs for everyone.
    Some have a tendency to bark. They're stubbornness can make them difficult to housebreak. They tend to do things on their own tming and their own way.

4. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    thanks I cant find a pic of an adult no one has one of their own?this is Little Jack mom is a yorkie his dad is a peek [​IMG]

5. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I suspect its a cross between a Yorkshire Terrier and a Pekingese. Therefore, like most mixed breeds its going to be difficult to predict exactly what the traits will be. It would also depend a lot on the parent stock. Because both of these breeds are relatively popular, many do not conform to the standard. I have seen "yorkies" in our clinic that range from 4 to 30 lbs.

Also, keep in mind that mixed breeds and crosses are not automatically healthier than purebreds. If you cross a lab with hip dysplasia and a poodle with hip dysplasia, you are going to get a bunch of puppies with hip dysplasia. [​IMG]

6. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I saw both mom and dad they were both 4-7 lbs I dont care if he is ugly when he is big i just dont want a dog that is gonna eat (or try to) the kids My sis has a pom and it is real mean and its only 3 mo old

7. snugglepup

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Then you probably have a better idea than i do what he'll be like when he grows up. [​IMG]

As far as temperment... hard to say. Shyness is DEFINITELY an inherited trait and a conservative one at that, but can be affected by early environment. If either of the parents were fearful, the pup is likely also to be fearful. But worse, if either parent had a sibling or parent that was fearful, then any pups may carry that trait also.

To best prevent problems in the future, get that pup in a puppy class ASAP. Socialize the heck out of him with lots and lots of controlled, positive experiences. You have the best chance now to affect the dog he will grow up to be.

Ian Dunbar is a veterinary behaviorist, and has some great books out there for puppy owners. They are even offering one for free download from the publisher. A lot of good information on development, socialization, etc. Check it out, it's FREE!:

http://www.jamesandkenneth.com/new_puppy.html

8. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    thanks for the info

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Quote:I have a 9 yr old Pom Precious and she has never met a stranger and loves every one. I always joke that if some one was to break in my house she would show them where the loot is and then lick them to death. She is such a good girl.

10. snugglepup

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Just further proof that every dog is an individual. [​IMG]

And if you want more... I just had two serious aggression consults this past week... they were both golden retrievers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by