You ain't gonna believe this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trooper, Jan 2, 2013.

1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] One day last week I was reading a magazine on chickens.I don't remember which one it was.I do know that it wasn't over 2 months old.It had some really good info in it and I started reading something that was hard to believe.According to the article there is only one Natural food that is better for you than eggs.It went on to say that eggs have everything that you need with exception of vitamin C.The article did say natural made.Eggs do have cholesterol, but the amount that you would have to eat daily is way out there. No way you could eat enough to harm you.The article said women's breast milk is the only natural food known that is better for you[​IMG][​IMG].I couldn't believe it.Both of these nature made products are better for you than you know.

2. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    I believe it. I don't think traditional science can be trusted when it comes to nutrition. So much of what we have been told is important is not. And the natural things we've been told to stay away from we should embrace.
    Beyond nutrition I trust science a great deal. But the company line that we've been sold by science and big industry on food is nonsense.
    I will eat my green leafys and two eggs everyday and live to be an old, old man (I hope).[​IMG]

3. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I'm with you

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Science can be trusted when it comes to animal nutrition, because they can feed different diets to animals and see how they grow, or even kill the animal to analyze muscle tissue, etc. For most agricultural animals like cows and chickens, they know what the animal needs to grow right down to the individual amino acid level. If corn price gets high, my family can just stop feeding cows corn and substitute another product that provides the fats, proteins, aminos, etc. that corn was putting into the ration.

Since force-feeding different diets to humans will never pass the IRB (group of people that vet human-based research to make sure no one gets hurt) we don't know much about human nutrition--but that's not science's fault.

Oh, and I don't think I do believe the "egg as perfect food" thing. I'd wanna see the proof.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG]I'm just telling you what the article said.It didn't say the perfect food.It did say good for you.[​IMG]As far as scientists go sometimes I think they are out for job security and I think it's more opinion than facts and many other reasons[​IMG].The egg is the perfect example.[​IMG]People have lived eating eggs for a long long time.All of a sudden "Scientists say that they aren't good for you.They cause this and they cause that and so on.Then all of a sudden a different batch of scientists step in and all of a sudden they are good for you again.I don't know either.[​IMG][​IMG]I"m just a DUMB country boy,But the article can't be off very far because everything is in the egg to get the chicken an EXCELLENT start in life just as a women's breast milk ,and I ain't a highly educated man.It also said NATURAL not man messed with and I don't fully trust scientists[​IMG] fore these type of decisions.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    There's a real difference between real science and what's reported in the media. Science is a long, slow, frustrating slog towards a truth that you may never find, and that doesn't make for good television. Real science always starts from the premise that the treatment won't work (testing the null hypothesis), not from the premise that you've found a miracle cure.

Real science can't be opinion, because good research is repeatable by other scientists. Lots of what gets reported on in the media is research with small sample sizes (a no-no) or not testing the null hypothesis (another no-no) or a preliminary study that hasn't been replicated.

This isn't a problem with science, it's a problem with how scientific research is presented to the general public. Haven't you read stories about miracle cures, but then the scientist herself gives an interview and says it's no such thing, that she just found a correlation and now she has 20 years of work ahead of her to see if it's causal?

Also, the word "natural"--there are a whole lot of natural things in this world that are terrible for you and a whole lot of "man messed with" things that have already saved your life. How it's made isn't the issue--what it does to you is.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  7. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    A lot of times the proof is in the pudding.I do agree with you that we need people to study things and find out if there is a better way,but that's not what is done sometimes.The eggs is an example.This is a God made item that gives the chicken everything it needs to get started. Mom's Breast milk is a God made item that is given to help children get an excellent start.These are a few things that have been used since the beginning of time and I would say proved to be successful.They have worked without change.Scientists step in and they can't make up their minds and keep changing back and forth.
    I agree that there are man made things that do good.But as an example some medicines had a NATURAL product that was good cures.Man stepped in and made all these meds that do help but either cause side effects that are worse than the sickness or require you to take another med to counter act the side effects.They said that the Natural things didn't do the job,but They are starting to use them more and more.Some of these things have been used again a long time.
    Most scientist's appear to think they are smarter than God.They always want to prove him wrong.This is as I see it.Every sickness there is God has a cure for it.Medicine,Pesticides,Herbicides and so on.Find these cures and ideas and quit trying to invent Man made mess ups.Sorry but this is how a lot of people see it.Not just me.We the dumb ones but we are smart enough to see what God has given us that is the same and has done great for many many years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by