1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You all are freakin' me out!!! My BR's cannot be roo's!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michellerene, May 10, 2007.

1. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Please tell me these aren't roo's! They are about 4 weeks old, I believe. They were a couple of weeks older than all the other birds I got, so have always been larger and more feathered-- I attributed the comb size to their age. Their combs are not red & there are no wattles developing:

"Queenie"
    [​IMG]

"Sister Sarah"
    [​IMG]

The two of them together
    [​IMG]

Tell me it ain't so! I cannot have roosters & these were supposed to be sexed pullets.

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    They don't appear to be cockerals- but then, 4 weeks is still kind of early to tell. You'll know for sure in another couple of weeks. In my birds I notice the most comb changing going on starting around the 6th week.

3. michellerene

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Okay... huh. 'Cause to me Queenie looks almost the same as the one someone posted today trying to id the breed & everyone is saying it's a roo! They must be seeing something I'm not. I'm still learning.

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Do you know what thread it is?

Oh wait, I think I know which one you're talking about ("Not sure what breed they are"). The barred rock or black sex-link in that photo shows much more color in the comb than your picture does. It also looks larger- as in fatter or more 'swollen' looking. The bird in that picture is older than yours by at least a week.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    They look like hen to me.

6. michellerene

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Rock on! Thanks! [​IMG]

7. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I could pretty much tell what mine were about week 4, I believe. All my pullets looked pretty much like that. And they still do, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by