1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You Americans have strange customs.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EmtheFishLady, May 6, 2011.

1. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    So a friend of mine came to stay with me last night after separating from his wife. I of course let him stay and did what I could to make him comfortable. Today he left for work, and when he came back, he had a box of ducklings and three chicks for me as a thank you for letting him stay here. Being the BYCer that I am, got excited and said "YES! I can put these under my Sour broody!" and immiediately went outside and started placing babies under her. The whole time I'm carefully sneaking babies in one by one my friend is quietly watching me....then, being Russian, he calmly looks at me and says "You Americans have very strange customs." and calmly walked back in the house. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I should also mention Momma broody was thrilled with her little babies. She has about the oddest group of kids ever, but she's thrilled just the same. I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them to upload and I'm not being lazy.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How true.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    Good for momma broody and yes we do do weird stuff

4. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    It just cracked me up, because the look on his face was like I just came out a spaceship or something. [​IMG]

Apparently, that's not what he meant for me to do with them. [​IMG]

5. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

makes perfect sense to me

6. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:Maybe he intended them for dinner?! If so, Em, I'd have to agree with him. He brings home dinner and you stuff it under a sour broody. WHAT are you thinking?

(OTOH, is it a Russian custom to bring chicks and ducklings as a hostess gift?)

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:I have no idea. I have been waiting on my Holderreads babies for awhile now, and my order was just pushed back. Maybe he thought this would tide me over? [​IMG]

Whatever he intended them for, he sure was surprised to see me stick them under a hen in a bush. [​IMG]

8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I just wanna see the pics. [​IMG]

9. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:I have no idea. I have been waiting on my Holderreads babies for awhile now, and my order was just pushed back. Maybe he thought this would tide me over? [​IMG]

Whatever he intended them for, he sure was surprised to see me stick them under a hen in a bush. [​IMG]

Maybe he thought you were hiding your own "treats" for a belated Easter hunt? [​IMG]

Whatever you do, don't ask him or clarify. This is way too much fun speculating. [​IMG]

10. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I doubt theres much point in explaining it now. I'm the type of person most of my family and friends don't even bother trying to make sense out of, because, well, there never really is a method to my madness.[​IMG] He's just accepted that this is what crazy Americans do with their baby ducks and chicks from the feed store.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by