You are going to be amazed- and you are going to laugh..

LilBizzy

Chicken Storyteller
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Maryland
( You have to read the whole thing- the funny amazing part is near the end)

A few months ago, I posted a picture of this guy:
10705_912greyfrizz.jpg

Everyone said he looked like a boy. The comb has always been large and red. But I had my doubts ( and hopes). This little one hatched on Easter, and is the smallest of my bantam flock. The size and shape made me think it was a girl. I really hoped it was a girl.
Fast forward a few months. At an amazingly early age of just over 4 months old, I got my first teeny tiny egg. A week later, I got 2 eggs. And several days later, I got THREE!!
I finally went in last week, and caught Franklin( yes Franklin is a girl) in the nestbox.
10705_912franklinnest.jpg

In the opposite corner of the coop, there was another little chicken. Franklin got upset because I was in there,and walked over to the other corner.The chicken in that corner fluffed up and SCREAMED. I left them alone, and went back a short while later to see 2 warm eggs in the corner.
Yes, the chicken in the opposite corner was my Easter chick. She's a girl. - Thats not the amazing /funny part though.
I was getting 3 eggs a day for a week. One in the corner, 1 in the nestbox, and 1 in the middle of the floor. Got home one night, went to lock everyone up, and the little missy was in the corner. Picked her up, there was an egg. I figured she just got to laying too late, and then it got dark on her.
Next night, shes in the corner again, but no egg. No egg in the morning, either. That night- shes in the corner again. No egg.
The next night, she's in the corner AGAIN. And again, no egg.

She just turned 5 months old. She was laying eggs all of maybe 2 weeks. And shes gone broody! Amazing eh? But here is the funny-
She's trying to hatch an invisible egg! She is sitting on nothing!!
As a test ( and hopefully a scare tactic) I took 2 eggs from the big girls and placed them beside her. These eggs are 4 times the size of the ones she was laying. It was kinda cute- she tucked the eggs under her, and clucked happily.
10705_912egglayingfrizz.jpg

I did remove the big girl eggs from under her, and left her to her invisible eggs. But WTH? She's only FIVE months old..
She must think she is pretty darn special, being in such a rush to have babies. Kids today, sheesh!

eta franklins pic

Last edited:
She's really cute! I have a Silkie that does the same thing. Two weeks of eggs and then she's broody. You'll have to do something to discourage her or there's no telling how long she'll sit on nothing. Or, you could give her some eggs to hatch...
big_smile.png

Broodies will usually lay enough for them to hatch. My silkie hen lays about 5-6 eggs...then, bam, broody. She's been like this since she started laying eggs. she will even hatch her clutch and a couple weeks later, go broody again...and again...LOL She'll skip a couple months then the cycle starts all over again...

Franklin got her name by looking like this:
523lincoln.jpg

While growing in feathers, she looked like Abe Lincoln- her beard was big and full, and the feathers on top of her head stood straight up and looked like a tophat. She looked a little roo-ish to me. Anyway, I started calling her Lincoln- but that just didn't roll off the tongue. So she became Franklin.

I may have (temporarily) broken her broodiness. Last night when everyone was asleep, I moved them into a different coop.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom