You are not going to believe this.....my chickens bark !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by nancymiller, Aug 30, 2009.

1. nancymiller

nancymiller Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Western NC
    hi there, I have a rather large St. Bernard dog and a Choc. Lab that enjoy harrassing my Cornish X's .After putting them in their new pen to "fatten up" the problem started.... The way this works is that when the birds scurry around (at feeding time) the dogs run from side to side around their pen barking and acting in a somewhat rediculous manner. At first I was terribly concerned that these chicks were going to develop a case of the "nerves" and we would be the only chicken owners this side of the Mason~Dixon line with chicks that require Prozac.......well I need not worry ! While outside making the rounds feeding our gang my husband and I BOTH heard a strange barking sound coming from the Cornish X pens after the dogs had moved on to harrass the next pen of RIR's. We were just sure that another dog had come into the area, headed back around and low and behold.....it was the chickens making the barking noise. Needless to say we almost killed ourselves laughing ......those chicks were "calling " the dogs back to play....... (I know, NO ONE is gonna' believe us !!!)
    [​IMG]

2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    To bad you couldnt get a video of that.. That would be priceless.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That's hilarious!!!! [​IMG] I agree, wish you had taken a video of them!!

4. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:that is almost exactly what i was going to say! [​IMG]
    thats pretty awsome.. barking chickens!

5. I'M On Island Time

I'M On Island Time Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Chain O'Lakes IL
    I have to say it is hilarious, and I believe it.

My roos when they were learning to crow would imitate everything, from the old rooster to the geese in the yard. They were like parrots! When they would hear a sound or call, they would answer back with their version.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by