You can DYE chicks before they hatch????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by furbabymum, Feb 25, 2014.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I was on pinterest when I came across a pin that linked to this:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Dye-a-Baby-Chicken
    Make sure the chick is in it's 11th to 14th day of incubation. It is possible to inject eggs that have been incubated anywhere from 10 to 19 days, but the 11th to 14th period is ideal. Only one injection is necessary if done at this time.
    Clean off the egg and needles. It is important to sterilize where the egg will be punctured and the hypodermic needle; since this is the needle we will be using to puncture the shell. Use alcohol pads to thoroughly wipe down the egg and needles. Let the egg shell and utensils dry. While drying, make sure the needles to not become contaminated.
    [​IMG]
    Puncture the egg shell. With the hypodermic needle, slowly and carefully make a small hole in the shell about one half-inch from the small end of the egg as shown in the figure to the right.
    Insert the dye. Extract about 1/2 cc., or .5 ml, from the bottle of dye and insert the tip of the needle into the hole and through the shell membranes. Slowly and carefully inject the dye into the egg to prevent overflowing.
    Seal the hole. Close the hole in the shell with a small drop of melted paraffin, making sure to cover the entirety of the hole and return the egg to incubation.

• Make sure you can complete the task within a half hour of removing the egg(s) from incubation.
    • Dying an embryo does not alter the chick's health, appetite, or growth.
    • The chick will regain its natural color when it loses its down, or baby feathers.
    • Other birds, such as ducks and geese can also be dyed.

Why would anyone do this? What do you think?

2. keepmumsane

keepmumsane Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    featherston
    Yikes thats kinda hideous.

3. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I thinks this is horrible and sad. Im pretty sure theres thread on BYC about how cruel this is.

4. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    It's a great way to introduce bacteria into eggs too!

5. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    People do this during Easter to make "cool" looking chicks that are cyan, pink, green, etc. they do it so children will want them and parents will make a on the spot decision to get the cute chick. I don't like it. It can cause the chick to die if not done properly and it encourages people to get an animal just because it is "cool". Watch Craigslist after Easter. You will see countless people selling chick that are no longer cute or colorful because little Johnny doesn't like it anymore or the people didn't realize how much work it is to raise a chicken. Just a skeem to make people spend money during Easter.
    The on,y reason I would see it as being useful is being able to tell which chick is from which pen. Example blue chick is from pen A, pink chick pen B, etc. I would never do it in the shell but I would use food coloring when they have hatched on their feet or heads to make a spot of color to tell them apart.
    Over all don't buy chicks that are like this. The people who do it don't care about the birds they just want money.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by