You catch more flies with honey? Not exactly......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NellaBean, Nov 28, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    A rogue banana peel left in the bottom of a bathroom trash can (seriously? grrrr) has caused a batch of fruit flies in my house! Yuck!

I tried hanging fly strips from the light fixtures.

i caught 1 fruit fly. ONE.

I tossed all the trash, filled the sink with soapy water. NO DICE.

Then I decided to have a nice giant glass of red wine. Set it down for a minute and 1 of those little buggars did a suicide dive right into it. DARN THEM ALL.

Had to dump my wine, pour a new glass and guard it with my life.....darn fruit flies following me around...I felt like the stinky kid from Charlie Brown.

So I read online about making fruit fly traps out apple cider vinegar and soap. Well, I made my own concoction. Red Wine plus Soap.

New score? NellaBean: 38 - Fruit Flys; 3

Okay, actually I have no idea how many are in my wine dishes....but there are a lot!

I knew red wine was awesome.......didn't realize it could catch fruit flies too. Since I still have 3 flying around, I better refresh the wine! Might even put some in the dish traps too [​IMG]

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:1 little itsy bitty fruit fly? I'd have fished it out & drank the wine. [​IMG] No way I'd throw out a good glass of wine over a fruit fly. [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Quote:1 little itsy bitty fruit fly? I'd have fished it out & drank the wine. [​IMG] No way I'd throw out a good glass of wine over a fruit fly. [​IMG]

My boyfriend was over and watching. Had to keep up appearances LOL.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, sorry, but that's just alcohol abuse. Gimme that wine! [​IMG]

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado

I'm with ya!! I do understand the frustration though, I HATE bugs flying around anything I am eating or drinking. I am so bugaphobic that I will eat in my camper when camping [​IMG]

7. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I'm not lying, dumping that wine hurt me to the depths of my soul. And using it for fruit fly bait is a bit painful as well. I use only enough to cover the bottom of the dish. The rest is used as NellaBean bait. Gets me every time! [​IMG]

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I thought fly strips were for house flies? [​IMG]

9. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Quote:Desperate times call for desperate measures! Mine caught 2 ladybugs and a fruit fly.

Red wine and soap caught a BUNCH of fruit flies and no lady bugs. Red wine minus soap caught a NellaBean!

10. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Hey, don't know if this would have worked, but why not just set the banana peal that they liked so much on the counter and leave it there until they were all on it and then SWOOP down with a pan or bag or something and scoop them all up, banana peal and all and then go dump it all outside?

By the way, speaking of wine abuse, Thanksgiving day I decided to pour myself a glass of wine. I don't generally drink wine during the day, but it was a holiday and all, so I go and pour a big glassful. Then I casually reached into my fridge, grabbed the half and half and poured it into my wine as I watched what I just did in slow motion horror as it curdled in the glass. Picture me yelling "Noooooo!!!!" in slow motion. Guess I better stick to coffee during daylight hours. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by