1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You got to be kidding me!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jewels1935, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Mama, my silkie mom doesn't want anything to do with her babies, so what does she do? Makes a huge nest, lays (1) egg, and sits. No biggie right? Well she's growling and biting me. When I removed the egg, she ran over and rolled it back! her babies are 4 weeks tmrw. Silkies rock in broodiness, but 1 egg? Seriously???

Edit..yup she's going broody again. Just check on her, and she's tossing pine shavings on her back.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Mine don't even need eggs to go broody on me. They will sit on nothing. I usually end up with a pile of silkies sitting on nothing. [​IMG] I hate when they go broody again right away. I feel badly for them.

Quote:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:
    I took her egg and ate it, and I moved her inside with her babies! She's not happy but I'm full now, so I'm happy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by