You guys believe me right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rebbetzin, Feb 11, 2009.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Yesterday, I kept checking for eggs. The way my nest box is made, I can reach through the nest box door to the interior of the coop.

Every hour of so, I would go and lift the lid on the nest box, but no eggs to be seen in it or in the bedding in the coop.

I was getting disappointed in not finding any eggs. One of the Barred Rocks was in the coop watching me check for eggs. I told her, " I thought you were suppose to lay an egg every day?"

All of a sudden, she comes near me, very matter of factly, scratched at the bedding, revealing an egg that was deep under the straw. She very lightly tapped the egg with her beak, looked up at me as if to say... "Is this what you are looking for?"

I don't think I am crazy, but, it sure seemed to me like she understood what I was looking for.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i believe you! thats cool! [​IMG]

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME!!! Chickens are smarter than we give them credit for! Thanks for sharing that story!!! Too cute!!!

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Awesome! [​IMG] I absolutely believe you! Mine waits for me to come get her egg everyday. Yours probably watches you get hers everyday, and realized you couldn't find it. She probably heard your questioning tone, and understood, because chickens use the same tone, you know?

That is just too cool!

I [​IMG] chickens!

Shelly

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    LOLOLOL! I want your BR! Mine never listen to me [​IMG]

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    COOOOOL!
    I believe you. I believe when we truly care for our pets, we become "in-tune" with each other and can "read" each other. I think it is awesome that you had that experience. I have silkies and they don't want me to take their eggs because everytime a hen lays an egg, she wants to hatch it. [​IMG]

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    oh great! Another breed that is taking over our minds and reading our thoughts [​IMG] [​IMG] worship the great chicken...give them more treats

8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That is so cute.

9. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Tell her she can live inside if she learns to use the litter box.

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i believe it. mine know certain words for things.
    i have a doorbell on The Big House and when i ring it, they know that the door will open. the turkeys let themselves out and i just yell, "You want it?" and ring the bell. they come straight for the door.

the chickens know the words 'eat', 'go in', and 'no'.

the ducks know when i yell, 'Go to bed, Sticky' they go in for the night.

they learn patterns like every other animal.

yours just figured your pattern out, checking in the box, and there she was hooking you up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by