You guys have me all paranoid about babies being roos

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AnKa, Mar 24, 2009.

1. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Not that I'd not like one, but I can't have one. Divorces are too expensive LOL.

I already bought 8 chicks to be sure I will have 6 come wintertime. But I spy on them every waking minute to figure out any boy-ism. Like 'uh oh, does this one have too much of a comb?' - 'uh oh, that one has really strong legs' ' uh oh, that once is cranings its neck a little too much' - 'uh oh, this one has bald spots on the neck and those ellbow-ey things' ....
    It's driving me nuts!!!! I have mixed breeds so I can't stand the thought of losing an entire breed to one being a boy LOL

2. ysandoz

ysandoz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Quote:Hi AnKa,

That is kind of funny, I caught myself doing the same thing! I did a lot of listening to others to see how they sex the ckicks and I did the one where the person said to hold the chick with it's belly facing up, holding it that way with the other hand until it stops squirming, they removing the hand. If it just layed there it was a girl, if it jumps and wiggles right away, it is a boy. I also looked at the wings and tail feathers like others suggested, and they all showed me the same thing. out of six chicks, I ended up with one boy. I am going to buy six more next week, but now that I know what to look for, I am going to check closely. No boys allowed! hee hee

3. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I think I have one boy too.. Out of my 4 chickes, he is bigger, has a bigger comb, jumps at the other chicks like he has attitude... hmmm... We shall see! It would be nice to have just one rooster though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by