You guys have no idea how lucky you are

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ChickieBooBoo, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    To have so many hatcheries in the states. I've seen soo many horror stories of people trying to get birds into Canada and the hatchery doesn't include health papers so the chicks have to be left at the border, not sending chicks of one breed but too many of the next, chicks arriving half dead... I could go on. Then theres the $100+ health papers on top of the cost of the chicks themselves which as I stated, aren't even correct half the time. Its at times like these where I wished I lived in the states [​IMG]

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Maybe you should start your own hatchery. You could corner the market in Canada. [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Are there none in Canada?

4. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I believe what CBB is trying to say that although we do have a few hatcheries here we don't have the selection here that you guys in the USA do .The heritage breeds that are avaliable in the USA aren't all here in Canada and as such although we are greatful that we can order them in , there are a lot of issues that arise when things don't go quite right .It would be nice to have a hatchery here that was maybe a middle man to another larger hatchery here ? Maybe someday there will be ? I do know that there is a huge amount of chicks ordered in every year and there are breeders and such out here , but we don't have the volume that you have .Our population isn't as high as well and that might also affect the hatchery status here ?

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Isn't that true with most everything concerning Canada and the U.S. [​IMG] Seriously it amazes people from other countries that I have met when I tell them I can order them and have them shipped to my house in 3 days. They also cannot believe I buy eggs for 40.00 dozen or more either. We are spoiled, Eh?

6. Cold Canadian

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    We have those same options here as well , just not the varity that you have [​IMG]..................but we're working on it .$40.00 a dozen ? try $120.00 a dozen for good stock , most of us have no problem with a cheaper price .Plus when we order in eggs the shipping costs can be higher then the price of the eggs , so count your blessings [​IMG] .It's to bad that the costs are so high , we would love to give you guys a lot of busness , but the paper work seems to profit to much from this and untill we work that out then we will slowly struggle to get what we have and pay for the process [​IMG]?

7. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Why is it so difficult and expensive as I know very little about Canadian trade laws?

8. Cold Canadian

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I'm not quite sure why , but as far as chicks go , I recently ordered in chicks from Meyer Hatchery ( which I didn't get ! ) and the paper work alone was $120.00 ? This to mainly tell our border that they were inspected and came from a inspected hatchery , vet costs ? )? I would assume that it has to do with controling any foregien sickness's from moving across the border ?.Eggs is a whole differennt story , I know of one member who is trying to get papers that would allow them to ship to Canada because they want them inspected as well ( what break them open ? ), but they are not having any luck as of yet , kinda the same thing as if you or we would want to order in from outside of our country . (Europe ) ? .It's sad when you think that we have this invisable line that dictates all this , understanding of course that it normally takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch .There was a order just recentally that was place by a group of people that was sent out on your memorial weekend and the chicks ended up sitting at the airport ? They are all dieing or were dead when they arrived ?? these people have waited months for there orders and now have to deal with trying to sort this out ??? If there was a better system in place this might have been avoided , plus in my case why couldn't thatpapers have been sent to the border instead of sending them with the chicks ?

9. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I cannot beleive it costs so much. It may be cheaper to drive to someones place just over the border depending where you live. A hatchery in Canada might be a good business. I think I would try to figure a way to subvert the system... that would not get you in too much trouble. [​IMG]

10. Cold Canadian

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I hear ya , but chicks have to have papers , no way they will go accross with out them . Eggs ..............well that seems to be something that might be crossing with out any attention given to it .We can bring back groceries iincludeing eggs ?? the rest is kinda clear .It would be nice if say McMurray would have a middle man out here that would take care of orders on the Canadian side ? I personally think it would be in there best interest if they did it , but that's just my view point .Like I said , you guys don't realize how good you have it when it comes to this , not that I want pity , just wish we would have a little bit of it here .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by