You guys think i killed them all due opened a bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jcfuente51, Apr 24, 2011.

1. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    good morning i had an emergency and i had to open the incubator to save 2 babys that had piped for over 24 hours with no progress they were shriwraped , the rest of the eggs had no pips at all the humidity was originaly at 60% but i bet its wrong cus of the shrinwraped it went down to 40% while i helpped the babys out also i did flod test on the rest of the eggs all seemed to floted but due the drapped on the humidity to 40% for like 5 minuts did they die even if they had no pip yet? are they still alive? what should i do my humidity its now up to 70% witch means who knows how much its off and the tem its holding at 99.8 what should i do i really want those babys out. oh its now day 20

[​IMG]

2. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:I think if you hang in there they will be fine, day 21 is when they are supposed to hatch, so I wouldn't panic until a few more days.

3. jcfuente51

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:I think if you hang in there they will be fine, day 21 is when they are supposed to hatch, so I wouldn't panic until a few more days.

i so hope so the 2 i saved are verry energetinc runing around tipping the other eggs i hope thta its ok and not harm the other eggs..

4. lubmychickens

lubmychickens New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    Cedarville, CA
    I wouldn't panick either, I just had two hatch this Easter morning, and their mother had abandoned the nest on day 20. When we found out, the eggs were ice cold and I presumed dead. On day 22 I switched "dead" eggs for store bought chicks and put the eggs in my incubator, just to see. On day 25, two hatched and I am waiting to see if more do! I was amazed as today I was going to crack the rest to see where they were in their stages.
    Glad I didn't, and I am going to wait two more days before doing anything. All my eggs are marked, so I know my day counts are correct. It truly is a miracle!
    Here is a link to see miracle baby #2.

5. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    You probably did no damage. Hens get off nests and chicks have hatched forever. I open my incubator and never have had a large failure. Also don't really worry untill day 23. If incubator is only 1 degree low it can stretch out pip date by several days.

6. jcfuente51

Mar 18, 2011
    thank you all guys i will just wait like i have all these 20 days [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by