1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

you help me choose

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FromChictoChick, Dec 20, 2012.

1. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I completely can't decide.

I like Pekings for their look and friendly personalities and bright white eggs, but their noise may be a concern (I'm looking at 6)
    I like muscovy for they're quiet and bug hunting, but I'm not crazy about their looks and I'm worried they're aggressive or flighty (as in they'll fly into my neighbors' yards or away). I'm also worried about their egg production.

So which should I chose since I'm only getting one type

2. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

That depends on your needs really.

Muscovies are quiet, but tend to lay eggs in a more seasonal manner. Much like geese. So if you are ok not getting eggs year round and quiet is essential then you may want them.

Pekins can be loud but usually when they are playing in water. I have 3 Pekins and I enjoy them and I get nearly an egg a day and have been since Sept2 from them. I can tell their eggs because they are big and white. The only 2 Pekin females I have. Everyone else pretty much lays a tinted egg (except for 1 new layer and her eggs are still teeny).

My Welsh Harlequins seem to be the quieter of my breeds. But even then when they get happy they make some noise too. lol All my breeds seem to be laying 5-7 eggs each per week.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with zooweemama, if I were making the decision, first I would try to sort out which mattered most over all. Noise? Eggs?

4. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    they have a white layer duck looks like a pekin, lots of eggs, litte quieter you get everything u say u want lol i like runners my self they are alot of fun watching good layers and for the most part quite

5. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I'm going to go with pekins, I had them as a child and loved them!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Alrighty, then! Hope you can upload photo's and keep us all up to date! Ask all the questions you can, and be sure to get the water management right, from the gitgo.

7. Coyote Night

Coyote Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Missouri
    I vote Pekins ! I know some people just love scovies, but to me they are not very attractive. My personal choice is Anconas because they come in many colors and are painted but of the two choices given I would go with Pekin.

8. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    When I got my first 2 ducks it was an impulse buy and I shouldn't have done it, but buying them introduced me to this whole new world out there, such as this site...
    When I asked the girl who was selling them to me, she said they were "Masscovy's" so I googled the name when I got home and found the breed "Muscovy" and was shocked to see how ugly they were, as soon as I saw the pictures my imagination of these beautifuul ducks roaming around my back yard was destroyed by these ugly ducks... but like anything, they grow on you, and now that I have them I wouldn't wish for anything else, my girls have even learn't to step off their eggs when I want to candle them, I reach my hand down and she will get up and move, and then sit back on her nest once I'm done. They also make the little noises that just puts a smile to your face, at the strt when I was moving them to see their eggs, they would make a little noise as if they were insulted that I'm moving them, and their little waddle when they see the cucumber or the watermelon in my hand, and because there are plenty of trees around my house, I get cicada's and because I can't bring myself to feed the ducks the actual bug I give them the husk once the cicadas have moulted and they seem just as happy...

I'm not to sure about the drakes of the Muscovy's but if you ensure you are "top duck" they should act only aggressivly to the hens...

The hens have a wonderful egg production, mine started a little late (at 7 months) but within a few weeks their eggs went from being the size of chicken eggs to double that, and they are very cautious not to lay their eggs in the poop, they also have light coloured eggs, making it much easier to candle...

If it was me I would without a doubt get the Muscovies... I cannot speak (well... type) highly enough of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by